Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A little good news
seeit2 posted:
As you know, DD has had a severe contact allergy to milk since she was a baby. In a way, this was a lucky thing for us because we discovered the allergy through her hives instead of anaphylaxis like I know many of you have.

Anyway, I have been rubbing milk on Lily's skin for over a month now and have seen no reaction whatsoever. We suspected it was getting better over the summer and she finally agreed to let us test it last month. Now she wants me to stop assaulting her with cheese lol - but I can definitely say that the contact component is gone. This is not a life-changer but it is definitely encouraging news for us. Maybe there is a possibility that she will outgrow this some day. ANd it does mean I can relax a little about where she is and what the other kids are covered in...this year's holiday party at school alone would have resulted in a good dose of Benedryl a year ago. I still want to wipe down every kid I see come close to her, but hopefully I will learn to let that go soon...
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Yay! Yay! Yay! That's really encouraging news!

It's easier to control what goes in the body than what touches the body.

Now, though, I have a mental image of you chasing Lily around the house, waving cheddar cheese in the air.....

Have you talked to the allergist about it yet?
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
No, my allergist here is kind of useless. But I can't find another one that's not going to be a two hour drive away. We have a yearly appointment in August and will get a blood test before that - so I'll probably hold off until then to talk to him. Unless I find a new allergist first.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
Great News!! Life will be slightly easier! And being in the cafeteria will also be so much easier for her!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Recipe: Vegan fruity oatmeal bars
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar * 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour * 1/4 tsp baking soda * 1/8 tsp salt * 1 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.