Skip to content
Sleep overs?
seeit2 posted:
Lily has been talking about a friend's sleep-over birthday party. Invites have not gone out yet so I'll believe it when I see it in writing, but it does make me think about this kind of thing. Have you guys ventured into sleepover territory yet? what will you do when it happens?

I think I would actually be ok with it as long as the parents were OK and got the allergy seminar ahead of time. This particular parent is a teacher at DD"s school so I feel better about her ability to handle things - but I don't know if she would actually want to be responsible for DD anyway. Just makes me think, which is good, because I don't think I can avoid the situation forever. It scares the hell out of me though.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Sleepovers already???? The only sleepover either girl is going to get for the next few years is with grandparents. Even without the allergy issue, I can't see my girls doing very well at a friend's sleepover until they are quite a bit older. I'm thinking maybe around 10 or so, it will be feasible.

I think Emily will start self-carrying by the time she is 10 -- around 4th or 5th grade. When that happens, I think sleepovers would be reasonable.

Maybe I'm an over-protective parent (OK, strike the maybe!). I may also be a lazy parent -- I wouldn't want girls over here for a sleepover until they are around 10. Too much work for me if they are younger than that!
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I know. My kids have NEVER slept away from us - not even with the grandparents. And Lily's friends at school are mostly full of crap, so like I said, believe it when I see it. But this girl has a sister who is 13 and I think her mom might see her as older than she is...does that make any sense? And I know people who have let their five-yr olds have sleep overs. I think Lily could probably handle it emotionally, but obviously the allergy thing is another topic altogether.

I'm glad to hear you say that though, because I am in no hurry to deal with it at all.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Makes total sense. I can usually tell which of Emily's friends at school have older sisters. Last year, Emily's best friend OBVIOUSLY had an older sister. All she could talk about was boys and who had a boyfriend. Come on -- it's first grade! I was relieved when they ended up in different classes this year.

I have to often remind DH that Elizabeth is younger than Emily, and what we expected of Emily at that age. I would say that was our major parenting dispute.

Since we are talking about sleepovers, I'll share a cute story. The girls like to have sleepovers in each other's rooms. They will have a sleepover with each other whenever there is a break from school. It's so cute to watch them have their "slumber parties". It usually means staying up watching Barbie movies in the playroom. Then Emily will read books to Elizabeth and they will cuddle up with each other before falling asleep. They take turns in each other's beds. I'm hoping those sleepovers will help hold them off in wanting other girls to spend the night.
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
aw, that is sweet! Sounds like your girls are really close.

crunk05177 responded:
I don't even want to think about it lol! I won't even send my kid to school LOL!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.