Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
They cancelled the ice cream for the party
seeit2 posted:
Here is the email I got from the principal this morning:

Hello Debra,

I wanted to let you know that we have eliminated the milk products for this party. I have been off campus often this week and had a sick child yesterday morning, so I apologize for getting back to you so late. We have two milk allergies on the grade level and have cancelled ice cream in both. I offered to help (the teacher) with other options and if you could email her with options / assistance that would be welcomed:)

I'm sorry you felt so frustrated. So much of what we do and what we offer to children is weighed based on what is dangerous and what is just a scholar not participating because of the feelings of being "unfair." It is so important to note that we can never satisfy the likes of every child, even with the ice cream as some do not prefer ice cream. With that said, I checked into the danger and due to the milk proteins that can be transferred, it fell into the dangerous category and therefore was eliminated from the party "menu."

Please let me know if you should have any questions or concerns.

Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
Ok I read this about 5 times before writing my response. As glad as I am that they cancelled the party, I am still angered by this email. He didn't believe you that it was dangerous for your child and had to do his own research? I don't even know how to put into words how I am feeling about this. What was your reaction?

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
Crunk, I did the same thing. I had to read that second paragraph a couple of times. I'm still not sure I understand the principal's point.

So much of what we do and what we offer to children is weighed based on what is dangerous and what is just a scholar not participating because of the feelings of being "unfair."

What's that all about?????

And, how nice to now look at other options, when the party is less then 24 hours away. Two milk allergies, and they thought ice cream was a good idea......

The good news is that Lily will be able to safely enjoy the party. The bad news is, if you are like me, I'd still be seething over it. (And it took me about 4 tries to come up with a non-vulgar word like seething.)

How are you feeling?
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I'm glad DD can go and even more glad that these people don't think I will roll over and play dead when they are insensitive idiots. I wrote a health plan for a freaking reason. I toured schools and got notes from the doctor and made sure the epi training went on for a REASON. I planned meetings before the school year to make sure everyone understood the situation for a REASON. Don't pay me lip service then make plans that deliberately exclude my kid. And don't put her in danger because you can't be bothered to educate yourself about the situation.

That's how I'm feeling lol!

And I'm glad it is settled finally! I spent the afternoon baking and frosting cookies, and packing for a trip this weekend to see my mom and my sister. I need some mommy time off and I'm actually getting it, which never happens so I'm going to enjoy it without all of the stinking ice cream drama. I need some sleep, man, I am wiped out.

Love you guys.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
It is so sad how people don't take these things seriously. On a positive note, if an icecream party is ever suggested again, the principal is now educated and will shoot it down instantly. I hope you have a great weekend and have a few drinks lol!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.