Skip to content
Positive Poll
mrswhitecastle posted:
We all know the obvious down side of having allergies. Today I was thinking about some of the positives that have come out of the situation. (I refuse to call them benefits or pros to having allergies, though!)

• I believe Emily is more responsible than most her age.
  • Emily truly understands everyone is different, and is very empathetic to others' situations.
  • It has made me a better baker, and I'm trying to become a better cook. I've improved a lot in the past 2 years.
  • I'm more aware of the food I buy and what is in it.

How about you?
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
This is good, I need the reminder that the situation is not always a PIA...

I think the best for us is, since we avoid milk and peanut, we eat a lot more healthfully (is that a word?) than a lot of families we know. My kids have not been exposed to a lot of junk food that other kids her age are used to. I like that.

It has also made DD more empathetic toward others

The allergy has forced me to learn to deal with conflict more often, which frankly has made me a better person. That may sound strange, but I hate making waves, and I've had to learn how, and that is a good thing I think. I still hate confrontation so I'm not a yeller, but I am learning to stand up for us.

DD has learned that she can't always get what she wants. It's a hard lesson but she has definitely learned to shrug things off and say "Oh well"... that is not an easy thing.

I am definitely a more creative cook!!!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
I was quite proud that my kids didn't know what a Twinkie was until Hostess went out of business!

I also like your point about learning they can't always get what they want. It's hard to watch, but it is a vital life lesson for them.
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.