Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carrying the Epi
mrswhitecastle posted:
How can Emily be almost 8 already? It seems like she should just be entering Kindergarten.

I've been thinking about giving her more responsibility when she turns 8. I've been googling to get an idea of when parents have their kids start carrying their own EpiPens. In the short time I've been looking, I've been shocked at how young these kids are. (I'm not saying it's wrong, just surprising.) Many kids start self-carrying in pre-K or Kindergarten.

I'm seriously considering having Emily ride the bus next year. I would talk to the school nurse and make sure the bus driver was trained on the EpiPen. I do think Emily is old enough and responsible enough to not eat anything. Plus, Elizabeth would be with her the whole time.

At first, I thought I would just have the Epi in Emily's backpack. But, then I started googling again. (Darn that google!) Now I'm considering buying a pouch for her to wear all the time at school. Not sure how she would like that, but it would make me feel better to know her meds are always right there with her.

So, after my long-winded ramblings, have you thought about what age you will have DC self-carry? Would you have DC carry it on them, or just have it in their backpack?
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 responded:
I honestly haven't even though that far yet. My only question is, do the schools allow kids to self carry. From what I understand, the schools here, do not allow you too just in case it were to get into the wrong hands.

seeit2 responded:
Geez, I have not thought about this yet either. And that Google can cause some serious thinking lol! I'm not sure I would have Lily self-carry, but she is never that far away from me or someone at school who can handle things - I even walk her to school so that is not such a big issues for me. But that opinion may change as she ventures out more into the world.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.