Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ready for MY “I hate allergies rant of the day?”
crunk05177 posted:
Ready for MY "I hate allergies rant of the day?"

Sorry but I have to get it out! Last night we went to my father's house for Passover. Granted, I was in a bad mood already when I arrived and I am PMSing but no matter what, this is about the allergy.

Besides for crackers with unknown ingredients laid out on platters on coffee tables there weren't any problems with food until dessert time. There were cakes and cookies and treats of all kinds from bakeries and stuff. Again, not the BIGGEST deal in the world because even though it was still unfair to my son, I could have still found something for him to eat. Well, the kids wanted to eat matzoh and my nephew asks for nutella to put on it. It was given to him and the rest of the kids. Then I see the kids running around the house with it! Not even kept at the table. I was furious!! Nathan wasn't trying to eat, him and my niece were playing on the iPad but it really annoyed me how careless my family was. If it were at my husband's family's house or a friend's house it would be a different story but it was my father's house. And my sister's response was, "Don't worry, it's not peanuts, just hazelnuts." He is not severely allergic to tree nuts…and it is only some tree nuts but to me, it was the point. Maybe I am just hormonal, maybe I could have handled it differently but last night was definitely MY I hate allergies night.

seeit2 responded:
People can be really insensitive. I don't blame you for getting annoyed...I mean, how hard is it to just not serve the stuff? Or at least ask the kids to sit down with it? I think so many times for us it's not the allergy, its the way other people handle (or don't handle) the allergy that is so frustrating. Makes us feel like our kids' safety is not that important, which is bull.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
I think it hurts worse when it is close family. The people you expect the most out of, hurts the worst when they act that way. Plus, you can't just brush it off not have to deal with them again.

Allergies aside, I wouldn't want kids running around my house with food like that......
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
I agree with you guys. It was so hard that day. And not to mention it wasn't the first time at that house. I guess I just have to learn to leave before dessert is served. That is where we always run into the problems.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.