Skip to content
Spoke with school nurse
mrswhitecastle posted:
I have a new respect for our school nurse. She started at the beginning of this year, and you know how that can make you nervous!

She called to ask if it was alright for preschoolers to bring their dogs to school for their show and tell. She knows that Emily has a dog allergy, and wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect her, even though they wouldn't even come in contact with her. No problem, even if they were in the class and Emily was petting them, but it was so nice to see her on top of it. So, she now has my seal of approval.

Since I was there talking with her, I asked her about procedures for riding the bus with the Epi. Now, I try REALLY hard to not judge other parents and how they deal with their child's allergies. However, she said that most with Epi's just ride the bus, and don't have their meds on them. Eeeekkkkk... Well, that will not be us. She is going to check with the official procedure, and we will go from there.

It was nice to leave the school and feel good about the care your child is getting.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
Wow, that is cool. She really seems to be on top of things. I'm with you about riding the bus with an Epi - but then I remember kids eating breakfast on the bus when I was a kid, it was always such a zoo. Don't know if it is still that way but I would not risk it.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
The nurse called me again to follow up on my questions about riding the bus. She says that they will train the bus driver on the use of the Epi. Over the Summer, I am going to train Emily on how and when to use the Epi. I'll probably include Elizabeth in what to look for and what to do in the case of emergency.

I found out the nurse has a little boy who has to carry an inhaler. So, I think she has a better understanding of our situation. For part of the conversation, we were talking more like Mom-to-Mom, and not just me to school nurse, if that makes sense.

I remember how worried/upset I was when our old nurse left. It turned out just fine, if not better. Phew!
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.