Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Food allergy Frustration
Cheryla40 posted:
In serious need of some help!! I have A LOT of food allergies and I keep reacting to more and more!! Most of what I am allergic to is are fresh fruits and vegetables. I have been told I'm probably not really allergic to that food item but more likely allergic to the environmental things of where that item was grown. That's all fine and great but how am I supposed to determine what I can and can not eat when it is always changing!!! I battle with my weight ALWAYS and since I had to stop eating salads in September after a reaction left me almost needing to be intubated, I am gaining weight again!! My most reason reaction came this weekend...I ate ONE tiny little Clementine!! I've eaten them before and did not have a problem!! I can't eat watermelon, apples, carrots, cherries, plums, pineapple and the list goes on and on!! I'm frustrated and just don't even know what else to do!!! Thanks fro reading if you have hung around to the end of this RANT!!!!

deluxehd responded:
Hi Cheryla40,
I understand and can relate to your situation. I don't have true food allergies but most foods trigger my asthma. I am allergic to latex so some of the foods I react to are a cross reactive for latex. We believe I may be reacting to the natural chemical make up fruits and vegetables like: fructose, etc. I currently can only eat white sweet potatoes and yams in the fruits and vegetable categories. If you have other allergies (environmental) you may be experiencing oral allergy syndrome. Certain pollens are a cross reactive for fruits. I was told when trying to identify problem foods to wait three days in between. This gives your body time to digest out the problem food. Also to rotate foods at least every four days or your body may become sensitive to them. I currently only have enough foods for a 4 day rotation except for my vegetables which is 2 days. Hang in there and I hope you get things figured out.
Debbie
Adult with food allergies and asthma.

seeit2 responded:
Have you been tested for food or environmental allergies?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.