Skip to content
Add it to the list....
crunk05177 posted:
We can now add "excercise induced asthma" for Nathan. He is apparently too young to do the breathing tests but based on the physical exam and my observations, the doctor said he most likely has this. We are going to try daily singulair and see if it helps! Ugh!

mrswhitecastle responded:
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. Does he have to carry an inhaler now, too?

Emily takes Singulair. It has helped with her cough, and I haven't noticed any side effects.

Starting about a year ago, I developed exercise induced asthma. It progressed over the year, and now I've been diagnosed with cough-variant asthma. For the longest time, I didn't realize coughing is a sign of an asthma attack. They didn't do any breathing tests on me, just used medical history to diagnose.

Does Nathan have any other triggers, besides exercise? How is his sleep?
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
We didn't get an inhaler yesterday. He wants us to use the singulair daily for two weeks and then listen to his chest again and see how everything went. The allergist said it is very common in allergy kids.

When he was just about 2, that was the first time I noticed it. After running around a lot he would have coughing fits. It happened every once in awhile and now I am noticing it a lot more. I never thought anything of it because everyone kept saying that he'd have to be wheezing for it to be a problem. But like you said, coughing is a huge sign. He said it's probably been developing over the last year or so.

He has ALWAYS been a restless sleeper, ALWAYS! And he doesn't sleep much either. He snores but nothing crazy. It was thought that he had enlarged adnoids but nobody wants to look into this young since it isn't causing any major major problems.

What happens when you excercise? You start having coughing fits? His don't last for very long but for a 3 1/2 year old, he shouldn't be coughing after running.

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
When mine first started a year ago, I'd be uncomfortable for around an hour after exercising -- coughing and just not being able to catch my breath. As it got worse, I'd start coughing during exercise. I was like you, though, and figured you had to be wheezing for it to be asthma. Now I know some signs before I even start coughing. I'll get really tight in my chest and throat, and start to get a headache. When I start coughing, it's usually so bad I'm gagging, too.

If I were you, I'd watch for anxiety attacks and hyperventilating. They can come with an asthma attack.

Cold air does it for me, too. I read somewhere that the reason exercise triggers asthma is because you are breathing through your mouth. Since the air is colder then when you breathe through your nose, that's why the asthma is triggered by exercise. I don't know if that's true, but I found it interesting.

I can tell my asthma is worse when the allergies in the air are bad. I had asthma attacks twice this week while exercising, and that was even with taking my inhaler before I started. I could tell that I shouldn't even try to exercise today.

I didn't realize my asthma was so out of control until I talked to a nurse about how often I was using my inhaler. My doc put me on daily inhaled steroids, and that has helped A TON. 3 days after I started the steroids, I slept hard all night long. I hadn't realized how badly I had been sleeping because of the asthma. I read that during the very early hours of the morning, the levels of whatever it is that keep your lungs open, are at there very lowest. (Don't you like my technical terms and run-on sentences????) But, really, I was just amazed at how much better my sleep was.

Fortunately, lots of kids outgrow asthma. DH had it bad as a kid (he'd take neb treatments 3 times a day). He outgrew it, though, and doesn't have any problems with it now.

Please post if you have any more questions. And, please keep us updated on how Nathan is doing.

(Wow, this post ended up being long. Sorry.)

I think it is so weird how these things just develop over time. I mean it makes sense but it's just weird. Thank you for sharing your story with this. Nathan's doesn't seem to last as long as yours does which I guess is a good sign? The worst one I have seen so far is maybe 10-15 minutes?

He is going back to the doctor on Thursday so he can listen to his chest again. I definitely see an improvement. This kid has had cold symptoms for months and months, nonstop. We've had to cancel his toe surgery twice already because of it. It may be coincedental but he has not had any cold symptoms since taking the singulair. Also, with the weather being crappy, cold and wet, he hasn't been THAT active but with the activity he has done, I have not noticed him breathing so heavily.

So I am hoping that this was the solution. I am hoping we are not in need of an inhaler...I wouldn't even know how to get him to use it haha.

That's good you have seen such an improvement!

They do make spacers to put on inhalers so little kids can use them. I also have a device like a reverse whistle (it whistles when they breathe in deep enough) to teach them to use an inhaler. Since the meds seem to be working, hopefully you won't have to worry about the inhaler.

Not sure if it is coincidental or not but we still have not seen any cold symptoms since starting the singulair about 40 days ago

That's great news!

The Singulair helped Emily a lot this Spring season. She hasn't had that barking-type cough in months.

So nice when medicines actually work like they are supposed to......

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.