Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
WWYD?!
crunk05177 posted:
I have two Pre-schools in mind (still) for September.

The school he goes to now would be all day. He would eat in a cafeteria with about 20 other pre-k kids and probably another 20 or kindergartners. An epi is not allowed in the cafeteria because the children are supervised by parent volunteers. He would sit on the end seat and hope the kid next to him doesn't have peanut butter. The nurse suggested getting it into his head this summer that he is not to take food from anyone except for his own lunchbox. The nurse assured me that they would do everything they could to keep my child safe but their is always a possibilty....

The second school is new. It is a school for children with special needs but they have "model" kids attend the school as well. He would be in a class of 10 kids who would have speech delay, PT or OT issues, nothing too major. He would eat lunch in his classroom with his teacher and assistant. IF a child brought in peanutbutter or something that child would sit at a different table and the table would be washed down and the kids hands would be washed after. However, it is $200 more a month...

My husband thinks since we would be dealing with it anyway in Kindergarten we should just send him to the cheaper school. What would you do?

mrswhitecastle responded:
A few questions first:

How sensitive is he to peanut? Does breathing it or touching it cause a reaction?

Would the parent volunteers be different every day? Would there be any teacher supervision? Would anyone in the cafeteria be trained to admin the Epi?

Where is the Epi located? Who would have access to it?

How old will he be in September? How mature is he?

And I do agree with the nurse, with either school he attends. You probably are already doing this, but I would be training him NOW to not share food and make sure all food he ate came from a responsible adult. At that age, we gave Emily a list of like 4 people she could accept food from. Anyone else was to be given an automatic "no", no matter what.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
How sensitive is he to peanut? Does breathing it or touching it cause a reaction? He will only have a reaction if ingested. If he touched it, he'd probably get hives.

Would the parent volunteers be different every day? Would there be any teacher supervision? Would anyone in the cafeteria be trained to admin the Epi? There is no teacher supervision which is the next problem. The epi pen would not be allowed in the cafeteria. The cafeteria is downstairs (I guess in the basement?) and the nurses office is on the main level. The parents would be different daily.

I suggested to my husband putting a large sticker on his shirt saying "severe peanut allergy" or something lol!

Where is the Epi located? Who would have access to it? (answerd two questions in one for the last one)

How old will he be in September? How mature is he? He will be turning 4 in October so technically only 3 still. I would say he is quite mature and he knows not to take food from anyone but how much can we trust a 3/4 year old?

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
If there were a teacher/school worker there who knew the issue, I might side with your husband. Even then, I don't know if I could at age 3. That is a HUGE responsibility for such a young age.

Since that isn't the case anyway, I don't think I would be comfortable with having a different adult there every day. For me, there would be too great a risk of the parent-of-the-day not knowing he was allergic, not caring, or the chance they are one of those "it's all in your head" kind of parents. I would also worry about the legal issue if it came down to a another parent having to administer meds.

I'd suck it up and pay the extra $200 a month. I'd justify to my DH with showing how much one hospital stay would cost....

Thank you....I am glad SOMEONE is my side here LOL!

With your response in mind, I called the school again and spole to the nurse. She told me that she was informed that morning that next year's policy would include a teacher and the SAME parent volunteer all year. I am going to call the principal today to confirm. If that is the case, then I wouldn't mind so much him being there. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

That would make a big difference. Hopefully the principal, teacher, and parent will be on the same page with you.

Let us know how your call with the principal goes!

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
That would totally make it better! Especially if the two of them could know your DS on sight, kwim? Otherwise I agree with you guys. $200.00 is a small price to pay for safety
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
I called on Friday and apparently the prinicipal was in meetings all day....I am going to call in a little bit again and hopefully will talk to her. I will keep you posted!

crunk05177 replied to crunk05177's response:
Ok, I spoke to the principal. They are changing the rules for next year for the pre-k and K kids. There will always be one teacher in the lunchroom, one of the pre k or K teachers will rotate daily. I think I am ok with that. I think it would be a rotation between 4 and 5 teachers who will be notified and introduced to Nathan. They will each be trained how to use the epi pen. She couldn't give me a definitive answer as to whether or not the epi would be kept in the lunchroom or not but she did say the lunchroom is downstairs right beneath the nurse's office. The staircase is like 10 ft away from the doorways. The teachers on duty have walkie talkies as well so if god forbid something happened, the nurse would be instantly notified. I THINK I am ok with this....

That sounds like a totally reasonable, good plan.

Deep breaths, Momma. You WILL get through this!

After ALL of this going back and forth, I recieve the new tuition for next year and the price went up almost $2,000 for the year which makes it go up $200 a month!!! I was SO furious but now I am going to send him to the other school in September...I think it is a much better fit and the $$ isn't holding us back this time LOL!.

Well, I'm glad that everything worked out. Too bad you had to do all that agonizing over a decision, though. I don't know if it's just me, but that seems like a really BIG jump in tuition for a single year.

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.