Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergist appt coming up
mrswhitecastle posted:
It seems like Summer break just started, and here I am getting ready for school to start. I made Emily's allergist appointment. I need to get all the school paperwork filled out. Last appointment, the allergist said she may try skin testing her again. So, I have to prepare her for that.

I don't know if I want her skin tested or not. I can't remember if it has been 2 or 3 years since her last one. Last time was pretty bad, though. The allergist said at that time she may never skin test her again, since she was showing positive to everything.

I guess we will see what happens. The appointment isn't for a couple of weeks, but I will have to take her off Zyrtec next week. That should be interesting.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
Oy, good luck with that. We have an appointment in early August but we do blood testing beforehand for DD and proceed from there. DS is still only three and I swear my allergist is afraid to touch him, so we will see where we go with him.

It stinks that they have to be off the allergy meds, doesn't it? I forgot that that is the rule - how long does she have to be med-free before testing?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
Don't we all love this time of year? We go for our appt on Monday. I took Nathan for his bloodwork last night. The woman was SO good with him and he didn't even cry! My big brave boy...I was so proud of him. IF the egg numbers drop again we may try to do a challenge. He had the skin test done 6 months ago and he didn't think he was ready for it.

Nathan has been taking claritin and singulair daily and the doctor said neither one goes through his bloodstream and I wouldn't have to stop them thankfully. If we do a skin test, it would be different.

Good luck this summer everyone with their appts....I hope we have some positive news from everyone!

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
Crunk, keep us updated on the appointment and the results of the blood test. An egg challenge would be exciting, although pretty scary, I'm sure!

Emily's appointment is the following Monday. We will stop her Zyrtec next Tuesday. They said 5 days prior to the skin test. I am hoping she won't have too many problems off the Zyrtec, since it is Summer.

Sounds like all 3 of us have appointments around the same time. I'm looking for some GREAT news in the next few weeks from all of us! But, if the news isn't so great, we have a GREAT place to come for that needed support, too.

For some reason my reply isn't showing up.....

crunk05177 responded:
We had our appt last night....no good news but I guess no bad news either. Peanuts went down from 29 to 25 (Originally in the 80's then down to 26). The allergist says since it is lingering in the mid to high 20's, he doesn't think this is something he is going to grow out of

His eggs went down from 1 something to 0.9 which is good. He still wants to wait a year for the challenge bc he doesn't think he would pass this year.

He continues to do great with daily doses of Claritin and Singulair. Originally he wanted us to see what would happen if we stopped it in mid July but he is having surgery mid August, so we don't want it being an issue and have to cancel it again for the millionth time lol. He said it would be safe to continue it.

So like I said, not really bad news or different news, but not great news either.

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
Bummer about the peanuts. Good news about the egg though right? Might be some light at the end of that tunnel?

I'm glad the allergy meds are helping. I started DS on Allergra about a month ago and the change has been dramatic. He is finally sleeping through the night instead of hacking all night long - what a blessing! For all of us!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Sorry about the news on peanuts. That's kind of hard to accept, I know. I'm crossing my fingers for the egg, though!

I'm glad to hear that both of you are seeing good results with the new meds. It's such a relief to finally find something that helps them out.

Just keep on, keeping on......

I swear, that should be our official board mantra!

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
As hard as it was to hear, I just know it could have been worse....I think haha. IF he has it forever, hopefully the numbers will go down and he will be "less" allergic LOL. Who knows? Like you said, I just keep on, keeping on

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.