Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Checking in and update
seeit2 posted:
Hi guys! How is everyone doing? Things are chugging along here. DS loves his new preschool - we even added another day so her is going four mornings a week now- and DD loves the time with mom I think.

I am trying to get used to the whole peanut allergy thing with the school. I posted before that it is easier in some ways because peanut allergy is so well known and addressed by schools pretty directly - but I am actually having trouble getting used to how complacent everyone is about it! I think with DD's milk allergy people are afraid to do anything food-wise so I am in the loop about everything she touches,but with DS people are just feeding him without my knowledge and it is giving me the shakes. It is a whole new level of trust for me. I don't know how it is with you guys in school but when I hear him say "I ate a ____" I want to call them and ask 50 questions about what it was! Which would be crazy but that is pretty much how it is with DD so ... have to let go a bit more with DS I guess. It's hard though. I was not planning on it being so hard.

How are you guys doing?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
That is exactly why I am so neurotic with Nathan. As I put it, people just "don't get it." It is SO frustrating!!! He started "camp" at my first choice school (but became second and then first again haha)...the school for children with disabilities. They take his allergy extremely seriously. The program director called me to tell me she was going out to buy snacks for the kids at BJ's and asked what was ok and what was not. Even though each snack will be peanut free, I still have to bring in my own snacks for him, even if they are the same exact thing! Sounds insane but definitely a HUGE relief for me. I send in 5 or 6 different boxes of snacks so he could have a choice. He LOVED day 1 and kept telling me he missed his teacher last night. I hope day 2 goes just as well.

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
I'm so glad he loves it! Sounds like you made the right choice in schools. I don't blame you for being so neurotic - if one more person waves and hand at me and says "it will be fine" I'm going to slap them. But DS' teacher is totally in love with him so I don't want to believe she would put him at risk. It's so hard to trust though isn't it?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Hopefully WebMD will let me post today. It wouldn't yesterday afternoon......

I'm glad to hear that all the kiddos are enjoying school!

We are anxiously awaiting/dreading our allergist appointment on Monday. Emily had a couple of impromptu sleepovers with the grandparents last week, so she didn't get her Zyrtec. Since she was doing fairly well, I just left her off of it. She would have had to go off it yesterday, regardless. I have been pleasantly surprised on how well she has done without it. She is still on the Singulair, though.

I do have a question for all of you, though. At her previous appointments, she didn't really remember what the skin test was like. This will be the first time that Emily remembers having been skin tested before, and is really dreading it. She is worried about it, and will likely get more anxious as it gets closer. Any advice on how to help prepare her for it?
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I'd say just keep talking to her about it if she wants to. Maybe walk her through it once or twice so she remembers what to expect and that it was not so bad last time. Otherwise I'm not sure what you can do, do you? Wish I had better advice

I took Lily to get her blood test this morning. I mentioned we needed to do it two days ago, then let her forget about it, then told her as we were pulling out of the driveway this morning that we were getting it done. But blood tests are way easier than skin tests. Lily remembered the test from previous years and only asked to go in and get a stuffed animal to snuggle. (She is still a total baby and stuffed animal fiend). So we brought a baby doll to console and that seemed to help her. The tech ran us through it so fast I don't think she had time to get upset. Now we wait and see...

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Her last skin test was pretty bad, though. I do have a drama queen, so sometimes it's hard to tell how badly something really hurts. Last time, though, there was screaming, crying, and lots of holding her down. Could be because every single stinking skin prick reacted in a big way.....

Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps it is me who is dreading it more than she is. She hasn't talked about it in the last couple of days. Monday morning we will remind her so she doesn't have too much time to worry. We will also tell her screaming is not allowed.

Perhaps a better question would have been: How do I prepare myself for her appointment?

Will you get the blood test results back soon, or have to wait for you appointment with the allergist?
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I hear you on the mommy anxiety. Drama is hard to deal with no matter what. I hope she does not remember it that well...but I know, there is no telling. Sorry. I did not realize it was that bad.
They will get the blood test results in a week probably, but I'll have to call every day, and the doc will be on vacation, and then he will to have signed off on them so they won't give them to me...so I probably won't know a thing until the appointment anyway. It always goes that way. I'm not even hoping for lower numbers, I'm just hoping they have not gone up exponentially again like they did last year. Not that it makes that much difference in the long run, but you know how it is.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.