Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lab results
seeit2 posted:
Last time DD's milk numbers were 33. This time they are 26. So a little better but nowhere near a place where we can challenge or do anything but avoid. The doc called me himself with the results to let me know that they are doing a clinical trial in Dallas that is designed like allergy shots only with food - building up a general resistance by exposing children to small doses t a time. He said she qualifies for the trial if we want to pursue it. So we will discuss that further at her appointment, otherwise he does not want to see us for another two years.

The trial site is really far away from us, so that right there may shoot it out of the water depending on how often we might have to go. Also he said that while they were actually "curing" some people of their allergies this way, they also saw people who developed Eosinophilic Esophagitis - where your esophagus swells when exposed to your allergen. Scary stuff. People have a hell of a time physically eating with that condition and it is a scary reaction. There is no guarantee either thing will happen but the trials are still pretty new (in medical time) so I'm not sure it would be something I want to do. We have her allergy so well controlled we probably don't need to right now.

On the flip side, he said this is a treatment that may find it's way to each allergist's office down the road, for all allergies - so that is exciting. They are making headway I think. Right now we are probably not going to let DD be a lab rat though.

So, as we all will...we keep on keepin' on for a few more years.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Well, I wish the milk numbers were better for you guys.

That trial is interesting. I don't know what we would do if offered the same sort of opportunity. I think it's harder to make the decision since it is your child, and not you yourself. That Eosinophilic Esophagitis sounds so scary.

It would be so nice if the treatment eventually made it's way into all allergists' offices. Even if reactions could be minimized to just hives or something, that would be such a relief.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I know, right? On the one hand seeing her totally free of the allergy, or able to eat baked-in milk even, would be priceless. So I would really want to do it for that reason, especially since she may never outgrow it. But I don't think I could live with myself if I actually made it worse for her instead of better. Not that EE can't be controlled just like any other reaction, but ... I don't know, I don't know much about it except for accounts I've read on allergy boards. My doc thought DD had it when she was little because she had such a hard time eating anything at all... I definitely need to get more information, which I will get in a week. I will let you know what I find out.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
Our allergist began to tell us something like this about peanuts and I just cut him off and said no lol. Maybe I should have listened to the whole thing but I think I would be too scared to go through with it.

I think it was slightly different though....I think it was a different way to test for the allergy. But that fact that he has had a reaction, I know he has the allergy so I just didn't want to hear it. Maybe next visit I will listen to what he has to say....moreso so I can report back to you guys lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.