Skip to content
First Day of School
mrswhitecastle posted:
Well, the new school year has officially started. We have a new nurse. Again. This is the 3rd nurse we have had now.

Emily rode the bus to school for the first time. They are the 2nd to last stop on the way to school, and the first stop on the way home. So, she'll probably be on the bus all of 5 minutes. It sure will clear up my afternoon. I would spend a good 45 minutes every afternoon picking them up from school.

Emily is now carrying an Epi pen and Benadryl in her backpack. It really is more to prove a point to her about not being without her meds. Her bus driver knows she has it, she has her bracelet, and her sister knows about it. We have been working on her practicing self-administering, but she isn't very good at it yet. Plus, I think in the case of an emergency, she wouldn't be able to do it anyway.

It was cute to watch them at the bus stop this morning. Prior to this year, a little girl in Emily's class would be the only one at the bus stop. This year, her sister is starting Kindergarten, my two girls are there, and there is a new neighbor girl there. I think the 5 girls will end up having fun. Plus, it's school policy that the Kindergartener's mom must be with her at the bus stop, so I'll be able to chat a bit as well.

How about you guys -- when is your first day of school?
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 responded:
Sounds like you guys are well prepared! I hope you have a great school year! Why can't they keep a nurse in that school? LOL!

Out of curiosity, does the driver know how to administer the epi pen in case of an emergency? I have a whole year to worry about it but I have started thinking about how it all works.

We are just ending camp this Friday. Most camps around here end the following week.. School starts for us September 4th. We still have some time thankfully!

seeit2 responded:
I responded to your post the day you put it up, but obviously it did not stick. I think it's so cute that the girls get to do the bus thing together. And I'm glad you have Emily covered for the ride - that must be a load off your mind knowing it is at least on her.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.