Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
checking in
seeit2 posted:
Hi guys! How are things? The new school year is underway and some of us have new additions to the family - so I'm sure it's been busy. My DS turned four over the weekend so I'm finally out of the toddler stage, tho he is not potty trained and seems to have no interest in ever getting there, so it does not feel that way! But it will happen eventually I know.

I am looking around at options for moving to a private board but have not found anything I like yet. Things have been so mellow here it does not feel like a huge priority anyway. I might go post more on the 4-5 yr board now that I am legal again but I'm afraid I'd be talking to myself anyway...

Hope you guys are doing well.

Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Hi!

Things are crazy busy here. We have had other family drama to deal with, and it hasn't been easy.

We are all adjusting well, I think. We have good days, and then difficult days. Fortunately, the difficult days are turning more into difficult hours, so I think that's a really good sign.

Ugh. I don't even want to think about potty training again! I was so happy when Elizabeth was done, and thought I'd never have to do it again. Well, surprise, surprise! She is showing a few signs of being ready, but I'm not going to start that process until she has been here longer and adjusted more. On that note, I'm hoping she doesn't climb out of her crib any time soon, so we don't have to deal with that transition yet, either.

As we start to work into a routine, I'm hoping I can be around more. Our next hurdle is our home study, and then I'm really hoping things calm down around here for awhile.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

mrswhitecastle replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
UPDATE: Home study complete!

Well, almost. Our part is done. We finished the paperwork, interviews, paperwork, house walk-through, paperwork, fingerprints, and - oh, did I mention - paperwork. The social worker just has to compile everything together for us to review. We should have our first court date in the next couple of weeks.

Phew! I'm so glad to have that step DONE.

How are you guys doing?

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
So glad to hear!!! Sounds like things are stressful but well!!! I hope everyone is adjusting well and things are getting better!!

Everything by us is going ok! Nathan will be 4 on the 21st and is in Pre-k. He is having a great year at this school. The ONLY issue we are experiencing is that my sister, who lives in the apt above us just bought a dog, Nathan is allergic to dogs, even "hypoallergenic" dogs. Soooooooo we are starting Claritin again and will see what happens....ugh!!

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
I can't imagine what the paper work must be like for you guys. I'm glad things are plugging along well.

That;s a bummer about the dog upstairs! We visited a friend the other day who has two dogs and three cats (!). Lily sneezed all the way home and for the whole day afterward - but not once inside the house! Don't know what to make of that!

Is there really such a thing as a "hypoallergenic" dog??
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
There is actually no such thing! That's where a lot of people are mistaken. Most people are allergic to the dander...which is left on the fur, and a dog that sheds will get it all over the house. However, you can also be allergic to the saliva, sweat and urine. Nathan's babysitter had a "furless" dog and always had cold symptoms. With claritin, he seems to have these cold symptoms still. I am going to give them some time to see if they go away. I hope so We can never win! LOL!!

Tell me about it. My DH has had some real health problems over the years. He decided to go gluten-free and felt better but worse...it's been hard. So he got tested for food allergies/intolerances and found that he reacted strongly to both gluten AND a lot of the flours (like tapioca, teff) that people use to replace gluten. So the GF diet helped but didn't help! He also has trouble tolerating soy and corn. His immune system is a mess and his thyroid is not working at all. So he is on new meds and a special diet...on top of everyone else's special diet. Some days I have to have a good cry before I can sit down and figure out what is for dinner. I feel like I spend all of my time at the grocery store lol.

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Wow. Cooking for all of that must be next to impossible!

I agree there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog. I was sad when our dogs were gone, but really relieved, too.

Hopefully the new meds you guys are both trying in your families will help!

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I agree!! I think I got stressed out just reading. Your dog has allergies as well right?

lol yeah but he's easy - I don't have to cook for him! (But I do make him an extra sweet potato when I bake them )

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.