Skip to content
Good news, bad news and a question
crunk05177 posted:
We had more blood drawn because I wanted Nathan to get the peanut component test done. This tells what part of the peanut he is allergic to and what type of reaction he would have if ingested.

In the last 3 years his peanuts went from 80 something, down to 29, then 25, then 27 (give or take but in the same high 20's) and then this time it went up to 40. Why does that happen?

He tested positive for the component test and would suffer from anaphylaxis if ingested

We had him tested for fish and tree nuts (again) and everything was negative. (The Good News)

I had him tested again for dog dander....the nurse wouldn't give me the actual number for some reason but she said he is very allergic and avoidance would be best. This stinks because my sister just got a dog and lives upstairs from us. Did I tell you guys that drama yet? LOL! She apparently didn't believe a person could be allergic to "hypoallergenic" dogs.....ugh!

mrswhitecastle responded:
Yay for good news -- no allergy to fish or tree nuts!

Boo for bad news -- still no peanuts!

Your sister is misinformed. I don't understand why she would continue to push her opinion on you after you explained that he was still allergic to the so-called hypoallergenic dog.

Dictionary definition of hypoallergenic: designed to reduce or minimize the possibility of an allergic response, as by containing relatively few or no potentially irritating substances: hypoallergenic cosmetics.

Notice, it says REDUCE or MINIMIZE the possibility. NOT ELIMINATE the possibility.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
NOBODY BELIEVES ME when I tell them that!!! UGH!!!!

He takes Singulair and Claritin daily and the day after she got the dog he experienced cold symptoms and REALLY bad eczema all over his chest, belly, back and arms. This is with those medications in his system already. This went on for about 3 weeks. I stopped letting him go up there so often and it got SO much better in a few days. I guess that is what I will have to do....just not let him up there often.

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
Yay for good news -- no allergy to fish or tree nuts![br>[br>Boo for bad news -- still no peanuts.....couldn't have said it better.

Sorry to hear about the dog issues. Sounds like not letting him go up so often is at least a sort-of fix...too bad it has to come to that though.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.