Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cooking lessons
seeit2 posted:
My mom never taught me to cook a thing besides throwing a Lean Cuisine in the microwave. Which meant I had to teach myself how to cook, which I did not bother to do until I got married. Cooking is something I have come to love so I am enjoying getting Lily started now. She can make scrambled eggs, chop up an onion (she insists on wearing the goggles form her brother's toy toolbox because they make her cry) and operate the toaster. It is something we really love to do together and she helps me with every meal.

My mom, ironically enough, asked if she could get Lily a cookbook for Christmas. She asked for a good vegan or dairy-free cookbook, but I told her a normal one would be good enough. I mean,she's going to have to learn to substitute anyway, so why not just start out that way? Cooking with soy cheese has it's challenges lol. How about you guys - do you cook with your kids? Is it something you like to do?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
I go through phases with cooking. Some months I'll absolutely love it and spend lots of extra time doing it -- usually in the Winter months. Then I'll get sick of it for awhile, and just view it as a chore.

I don't cook with the kids much. Usually they help me if it's something different -- like baking or canning.

Starting around 4th grade growing up, making lunch would be my responsibility. I'd have to decide what to fix for lunch, and then make it on my own. I'll probably start doing that with Emily next Summer. She needs to be just a bit taller for me to feel comfortable with her at the stove.

A few weeks ago, I got sick of the usual fight at breakfast. I was going to make Toaster Strudels for breakfast, and Emily started complaining before she even knew what was for breakfast. I'd had it, and at that moment it became her responsibility to make breakfast for herself from then on. Usually it's toast, cheese, PB, cereal, or oatmeal. She's so proud of herself, and on the weekends likes to make breakfast for all of us now.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.