Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Emily Update
mrswhitecastle posted:
Just thought I'd give a little update. She has not gotten sick again, yet. Yay!

I wish the inhaled steroids were doing a better job, though. I've started keeping track of how often she starts coughing. It's a least once a day. I was chasing her around the house and she was laughing, so it made her start coughing. We stopped right away, but she told me she was wheezing. Yesterday at the gym, she had to quit running around and playing on their play structure because she started coughing. She is telling me that she starts coughing a lot during gym class at school, too.

So, I'm not sure what we are going to do. She is on the same inhaled steroid as I am (just a lower dose due to age/weight), and I know I was told to give it a month for full affect. I just wish I was seeing some positive results now.

I'm beginning to worry she is going to have to start carrying a rescue inhaler. How would that work with gym and recess at school, though? Would she have to take it every time before gym class and recess? That would be at least twice a day....

Do any of you deal with asthma? Have dealt with asthma? Know anyone that does? This is new to me, and I've not found a good source of knowledge/experience.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

deluxehd responded:
The WebMD Asthma community is a very good source. They also have Pediatric Asthma Support Group.

I hope these are helpful for you and that you can get Emily to a stable point. Take care.
Adult with food allergies and asthma.

crunk05177 responded:
I am glad to hear she is feeling better and it's good that the doctor's are on track it seems to keep this under control. My 4 year old has "excercise induced asthma" but has never actually been tested for it. Our doctor told me he was too young to be able to do the breathing tests. His symptoms were chronic colds, heavy breathing after any type of exercise and loud breathy breathing while relaxed. He does take generic singulair daily and I have seen a HUGE difference. I don't like him being on meds daily but he's not huffing and puffing after running around for a few minutes like he was in the past. I don't know if this is an option for Emily but thought I'd share my only minor experience. Hope it helps!

seeit2 responded:
Sorry, I have no experience with asthma. Maybe your pedi knows of some good local resources for help or support. I have been watching DS carefully because he has been really wheezy since he had a bad cold last weekend. Honestly, I feel like that kids catches EVERYTHING that comes down the pike.

Glad she is out of the woods with the pneumonia at least.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.