Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Self-Carrying Epi (maybe poll)
mrswhitecastle posted:
Can we have a poll with so few regular posters????

We are starting to let Emily carry her EpiPen. I found a cute little purse (on clearance for $1) to put her Epi and Benadryl in. She does carry an Epi in her backpack, but I think it's good practice for her carrying the purse. She loves taking her purse with her now, but I'm waiting for the newness to wear off.

It's actually coming in handy. Usually, I only let her take it when I have my Epi in my purse so she can get some practice. It's been nice, for example, when grandma comes to pick her up. There is an Epi at grandma's house, but Emily can just grab her purse for the car ride. Or, DH doesn't usually carry an Epi on him. If they go somewhere, she can now just take her purse. There is less moving/transferring of meds. I do make sure a responsible adult is watching the purse as well. I'd hate for another kid to get ahold of the meds in it.

So, for the poll:
At what age do you think DC will be ready to carry the Epi?

I figure it will probably be middle school before I let her self-carry all the time. I also think there's a big difference between self-carrying, and self-administering.
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
I'm glad you brought this up. We have a TON of expired Epi pens in the house and were thinking of teaching DD to administer it using the old pens. I think it might be good to let her try it out in case the adults around her are incapable or clueless. That being said, I doubt she is ready to carry it around. She can't even keep track of her eyeglasses. DD will be 8 this summer. I'm with you - Jr high might be soon enough to keep it on her.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

sarah0323 responded:
I know this is way late but....

The last time I got my epi pen refilled it came with a practice epi pen. I taught the kids older than 5 how to administer if they would have to on me. They know that I always have a epi pen in my purse.

My 15YO didn't start carrying her inhaler until Junior High (7th grade). I would do the same for epi pens. At our school that is the soonest that they can carry inhalers or epi pens on them at school. Anything younger has to be in the nurses office.

mrswhitecastle replied to sarah0323's response:
Depending on the state, your child may be allowed to self-carry.

Our school nurse told me that the school didn't "allow" children to self-carry until a certain age. However, state law says differently. (She personally was all for kids self-carrying.) If you want them kept in the nurse's office, that's one thing. But, don't let a school force you into keeping meds in the office.
Emily (9 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (7)

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Mrs. W.

That's good to know. I will check in to it some more. The only child that carries an inhaler is in high school now but I have a kid on a PRN med that he would like to self carry.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.