Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Environmental allergies and asthma
seeit2 posted:
We were at urgent care Monday night and it took three nebulizer treatments to get DS' lungs clear. He was wheezing and panicking because he could not breathe. So I took him to the pedi for a follow-up today and he needed another treatment (we'v been giving them at home too) and he is still a mess. They are calling it allergy-induced asthma. The pedi gave him a slew of new medications and an action plan to follow. I made an appt for Monday with my allergist to get a second opinion - all of the steroids and inhalers are scaring me. It is just so much medication! And he's only 4 years old! MrsWC - I know you have dealt with nasty environmental allergies. Is it asthma too? Anyone else have any experience with it? I'm kinda freaked out.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

seeit2 responded:
Ah, I just did a search here for asthma and found the whole thread about Emily's trials (and Crunk's boy too). Was the other community here helpful? Geez,can not believe that was just two months ago - should have searched a bit first sorry. If you guys have any pointers please let me know!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Oh no! Poor little guy! And poor Momma, too!

I was actually coming on here to post about Emily today. The nurse at school called saying she could hear "stuff" in Emily's right lung. Took her to the pedi, and she has double pneumonia. Again. She got a shot in the bottom with some heavy-duty antibiotics. (The same kind she would get from the IV, but now quite as strong.) We start more antibiotics and steroids tonight.

The pulmonologist told us it was asthma. Ironically, our allergist (who is an allergy and asthma doctor) has been reluctant to label her as such. The pulmonologist had no problem with it. Hence, why we had her on a preventative plan, which didn't work out so well!

Here are Emily's meds:

Generic Zyrtec
Generic Singulair
QVar (an inhaled steroid she takes 2x day, every day)
Albuterol (as needed)

Today we added:
Prednisolone (I think -- I still have to pick it up from the pharmacy, but that was the liquid steroid she had before)
Omniceff

What is your son taking, if you don't mind sharing?
What type of steroid is he on -- liquid or inhaled?
Does he have any inhalers, and if so, is he using a spacer?
Has he been skin tested?

I know that the nebulizer is better than an inhaler, so that's good. Especially with a 4 year old. You poor guys!
Emily (8 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
He was on Prednisolone but the pedi put him on an inhaled steroid instead - a generic of Pulmicort I think. Right now he gets that and Albuterol in the nebulizer twice a day. He is also on Allergra and Singulair. It's crazy. Tomorrow I go see the allergist - they are reporting on the news that the pollen levels right now are off the charts and that is not necessarily normal so I hope it won't be like this forever. Once this episode subsides we will drop the albuterol but keep everything else up to "maintain" and re-evaluate in a month.

Im sorry to hear about Emily. Pneumonia is so scary. How is she doing now?

The allergist will not skin test yet, until he is off the meds for five days, but I at least want a second opinion on this plan and an idea of where to go from here.

I'm leaving town on Tuesday for about a week, so if you don't hear form me you will then. My brother in law had an aneurysm in his brain. It is touch and go right now. So I"m going to go hang out with my sister and do what I can to help.

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Oh no! You have got a lot on your plate right now! We will be thinking about you and your family while you are gone. I hope things improve for your sister and brother in law.

I did some research on the inhaled steroids, and felt better after learning that the side effects are quite different from the scary ones of regular steroids. The inhaled steroids made a huge difference for me, but it took a couple of tries to find one that worked well.

Makes sense about waiting for the skin test. I think the second opinion will help, even if it's just for some peace of mind.

Please update when you can!
Emily (9 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (7)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.