Skip to content
Now school drama with kid #2. Yay.
seeit2 posted:
My son goes to a preK 3 mornings a week in a church school nearby. This morning someone brought in ice cream floats for the kids - grape soda mixed with vanilla ice cream. First of all, that is nasty and even if he didn't have an allergy I would not want my 4-yr old drinking it...but anyway. The teacher called and asked if he could have it, and I asked about the ingredients of the ice cream but she could not tell me because it was made somewhere else. So I said no, give him something from the treat bin I provided. She said she felt terrible because she didn't know the floats were coming and DS was literally hopping up and down with excitement about getting ice cream. So I said well, it sounds harsh, but he's got to learn that he won't get to eat everything everyone else does... that's how it is for him. I wanted to say..and no one really cares about his food issues anyway..but I didn't. Even though it really is true lol. I have no idea if the little guy took it hard or not, if he were at home he would probably have a full-blown meltdown over it but school can be different, so we will see. It sucks that they have to learn things the hard way, doesn't it? I'm so glad the teacher called me instead of just assuming everything was OK.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Poor kid. It's hard to learn such a lesson at 4.

I wonder what the teacher would have done if she hadn't been able to get ahold of you......

How many days of school left? We have 6 after today. We had 10 snow days, so we had 3 days tacked on at the end of the year. Ugh.
Emily (9 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (7)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I found out the floats came from the school administration! Nice way to stay on top of your policies. Idiots. DS was fine with not having one, he didn't even mention it to me when I got him home. He apparently got to eat a few oreos from the treat box and that made him happy. I thanked the teacher for calling me and checking it out, and I have drilled in her head that if she doesn't know what's in something then DS cannot have it - so I doubt she would have given it to him.

DD is not out of school until June 2. That still seems pretty early to me, I remember as a kid in NY being in school until the end of June. I'm surprised you didn't have more snow days than that! You guys had a rough winter.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.