Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Anyone have some recipes for smoothies......
cindigal posted:
I bought a blender yesterday, probably I am the only person that doesn't have a blender. Anyone, i went food shopping yesterday and got lots of fruits...cantalopes, strawberries, pears, bananas. Some freezer bags of fruit; blueberries, mango, pineapple. I have light yogurt and skim milk. Ok....I made a smoothie yesterday....I put a carton of blueberry yogurt, some frozen blueberries and a banana, blended it up. It would have been great if i didn't taste only banana...draats. I drank it anyway. I love bananas, but not overpower over fruits. Does anybody have good smoothie recipes. I have all the makings of smoothies, I want to combine according. What about skim milk, could that be the liquid portion, and what about the frozen berries....and/or yogurt.

Thank you

jis4judy responded:
Hi I make a smoothie I like lot

I use a few berries strawberries or raspberries 1/3 cup fat free plain yogurt 1 teas cocoa powder 1/2 small banana frozen 1 teas brn sugar a drizzle of fat free milk blend till smooth. this I like a lot

Hugs Judy:)

cindigal replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for the reply. Sounds great, the only thing is...when you add the cocoa powder, brown sugar......does it overpower the taste of the fruit..??. I love chocolate and fruit, but together.... i have use my imagination.

Hugs

jis4judy replied to cindigal's response:
You could try it without the cocoa and sugar and just do a fruited one ... My suggestion is to experament with different flavors till you get one that tastes right..
I use almost 1/2 cup of berries in mine the sugar isn;t to sweeten the fruit it is to cut the yogurt taste...
I make a dessert the same way crushed berries added 1 teas brn sugar or honey 1/3 c fat free plain yogurt and stir well this makes a great fruited yogurt and I get to control all the ingredients that go in...
Hugs Judy:)

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Congratulations on your blender purchase! For anyone that doesn't have a blender, a food processor (mini size works for one smoothie) works too.

Here's a smoothie recipe from my book, THE FLAX COOKBOOK:

[You can use this as a guide and substitute different types of fruit, yogurt and nectar>

Purely Peach Smoothie
3/4 cup peach nectar (like Kern's brand)
1 cup fresh, canned (in juice), or frozen peaches
6 ounces low fat peach yogurt
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 cups ice cubes

1. Add all ingredients to your blender or large food processor.
2. ?Blend on highest speed until smooth, about 10 seconds. Scrape sides of blender and turn on blender for 5 seconds more.
3. ?Pour into two glasses and enjoy!

Per smoothie: 216 calories, 6 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fat (.8 g saturated fat, .6 g monounsaturated fat, 1.9 g polyunsaturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 65 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 16 percent. Omega-3 fatty acids = 1.5 g Omega-6 fatty acids = .4 g.

ddonette responded:
Blenders are great, I have a personal one that I can take on the go with me, before school I blend:

-8 ounces of water
-1 tablespoon of flaxseeds
-a scoop or two of protein powder(vanilla or strawberry)
- 1/4 cup chunks of mango
-1/4 cup bananas
-1/4 cup blueberries
-1/4 cup pineapple

I use frozen fruit so I won't have to deal with ice.

For variation I do chocolate protein powder, banans, flaxseed and peanut butter

cindigal replied to ddonette's response:
Thanks for the great recipe. For the "liquid" portion in smoothies....if you didnt have skim milk, I suppose you could use water. That reminds me, I made a great smoothie today. I don't have any flaxseed. I used "light"...blueberry juice, carton of strawberry light yogurt, some frozen blueberries and frozen pineapples. When you use the protein powder .....i am guessing the smoothie is more filling with powder. My sister was on a diet....and she had to have one to three protein shakes a day, along with tons of food.....it was a doctor prescribed diet. She lost a lot of weight.

rubystar2 replied to cindigal's response:
Hello Elaine and everyone else!! I finally found you all. Anyway............I am diabetic. Anybody have some good low carb smoothie recipes?

cindigal replied to rubystar2's response:
Welcome rubystar2

I am a new member too...It was hard to navigate these boards in the beginning. Since i got my blender, I make about 3 smoothies a day. I have frozen fruit; peaches, mangoes, pineapples, blueberries. Then i have the light yogurt: strawberry, berry, peach, banana, mango, pineapple, raspberry.....i cant name all of them. Sometimes i will add either skim milk, or juice to make the consistency i need. If you want a little sweetness, add a packet of artificial sweetener

cullencoven2008 responded:
I just got a Health Master Emulsifier last week ! I have been experimenting with different things ! I found a smoothie I love ! 1 Apple cored , 5 Strawberries , 10 Blueberrie Each about 1/2 cup , 12 Grapes 1 to 1/2 Bananna 6 oz Lowfat Yogurt 1/2 cup of coconut water 1/2 cup of skim milk 2 to 3 cups of ice depending how thick you like it and blend ! I got the emulsifier for a few different reasons ! To help with inflamatin with LUPUS Lower my cholesterol and BP ! I pray adding more fresh fruits and veggies will do it ! Have fun with your smoothies !

melissag1980 responded:
When you make your smoothie try only using 1/2 a banana, 1/3 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup low fat yogourt, and some fresh or frozen fruit. That is the recipe that I use and it tastes great!

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to rubystar2's response:
For people with diabetes it is more about counting the amount of carbohydrates in the meals and knowing what amount works best for you in terms of normal blood sugars and the type of medication you are taking. This might be 35 grams or 50 grams, for example. So what might help you most is knowing how many grams of carbohydrate are in a particular smoothie recipe that you are trying. All the smoothie recipes I have contributed to WebMD over the years will have that information within the recipe.?

To keep smoothies low in carbs you would probably mostly need to avoid added sugars and sweeteners and stick to the carbs that come with nutrients like the lactose in low fat milk products, soy milk, and fresh fruit (instead of fruit juice). You could also use plain or light yogurt instead of flavored (and sweetened) yogurt.

Happy blending!

mskicat replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
What about adding 1 scoop of a protein powder to balance the nutrition as a meal?

john9019 responded:
You can use crushed ice and OJ or some other type of juice.
Frozen blueberries and strawberries work well with vanilla yogurt.

An_198228 responded:
I use 1/4 C of oats and blend well in my smoothies. It thickens the shake and is a whole grain . It can takes the place of a banana to thicken the smoothie.

Helpful Tips

Gardening
Growing your own vegetables can be a great way to not only incorporate more fresh food into your diet but also get some exercise. Gardening ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.