Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Includes Expert Content
    Caffeine addiction to Dr. Pepper
    colorblind2u posted:
    I can not stop drinking Dr. Pepper but I know it's not good for me. I drink about 4 to 5, 44 oz fountain drinks a day, I know that if I can stop, my tummy would be much smaller.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what to substitute Dr. Pepper craving with. I just love the taste but I know it's not good for me.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
    WOW! Now that's a lot of soda. I'm guessing they aren't diet?

Even if they were diet though, that's way too much soda. Do you think you need to cut it out completely to be able to treat this addiction or can you cut it down to one can a day?

Substituting the soda for something with no calories would be ideal. You could try mineral water with an essence of berries (that's a little like Dr. Pepper) and some flavored green tea (pick some flavors that appeal to you). You will feel better almost immediately I imagine.

You could also try chewing gum in between meals to try and help you stave off cravings. Haven't looked lately but there might be a gum that is similar to Dr. Pepper.

Hope these tips help you do this! This would be a huge positive step for your health.

Best,

Elaine Magee

undefined responded:
    I am with you on this addiction to Dr. Pepper. It should be illegal!!
    I believe it has lead to my diabetes. It is a hard habit to kick!!
    what i do (it may not be the best answer but its a start)
    I like those big fountain drinks too. But when I finish it, i fill it up with water and i will drink that before i drink anything else. I also add a little of crystal light for some flavor.
    I am trying to get a little more healthy.

rohvannyn replied to 200680274's response:
    Dr. Pepper doesn't have any caffeine in it! It does have a lot of sugar though. I do like your idea though.
    Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

Another Roasted Garlic
    This is in response to charlie16220 on his Roasted Garlic: You can use left over whole garlic heads from a seafood boil on the grill for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.