Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you Do Dairy?
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD posted:
It's National Dairy Month so I thought I would pay homage to this often tasty and sometimes controversial food group.?

There are two types of people out there...those that drink milk as a beverage (some by the buckets) and those that don't. I would be a member of the latter group. Add some decaf espresso and a sprinkle of mocha though and I'm so there!

I have never liked drinking plain milk--even as a kid and neither did my daughters. Coincidence or genetics? But...we all enjoy cheese and yogurt daily so we are covered in terms of the nutrients that we tend to rely on dairy for (calcium, animal protein, B-12, riboflavin etc.)

I don't know what I would do without cheese. Most of my favorite foods and dishes include some sort of cheese (Lasagna, pizza, eggplant parmesan, chicken enchiladas).?

My favorite sandwich includes cheese (turkey, avocado and provolone with pesto or sundried tomatoes).

My favorite salad includes cheese (spinach, charbroiled chicken, berries, pecans and blue cheese with raspberry vinaigrette).

What's your favorite way to eat dairy?

Take the Poll

What's your favorite way to eat dairy?
  • Drink milk as a beverage
  • Drink coffee drinks that include some milk.
  • Eat foods that feature cheese and lots of it.
  • Eat yogurt or drink yogurt containing drinks or smoothies.
  • Eat cottage cheese.
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am a cheese addict-and eat some every day. It is my weakness when it comes to food. (and my doctor fusses about it because even making some smarter cheese choices I still tend toward high cholesterol)

The only way I drink milk is my three time a week coffee habit.

That salad sounds delicious.
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

Tomato05 responded:
I have osteoporosis, so I try to include dairy in my diet, although I could happily go without it (apart from yogurt, which I really like).

I take my tea & coffee black (or drink green tea), so no milk needed there. I eat cheese occasionally - rather neutral about it; non-fat cottage cheese is OK in small portions.

My breakfast is usually eggs & veg, or fruit & yoghurt, not cereal, so I don't take milk there either.

My main source of dairy is plain low-fat yoghurt. Also, occasionally after a heavy exercise session I may drink 1/2 cup of milk, although I prefer to drink vegetable juice.

I don't even like ice-cream (hurts my teeth and makes me cold)!

jis4judy responded:
Hi I have included in my eating plan fat free milk and plain fat free yogurt I also have cheese occasionally or maybe 6 times a year...
I use milk in my cereals and drink milk too I use the yogurt in a dessert way I add in crushed berries 1 teas brn sugar and the yogurt. this makes a lovely dessert for my sweet tooth.
I drink my coffee and tea black the tea get a wedge of lemon ..
I have ice cream the real thing 3 or 4 times a year
Hugs Judy:)

pallzy replied to jis4judy's response:
The only milk I really get is in cereal. Don't really care for it. I do try to drink about 4oz of soy milk a night, but could really live without that too. I do like cheese, but try not to eat it very much. I eat yogurt most every day, and I love cottage cheese. I haven't had ice cream in forever. It used to be a very close friend of mine, but decided it just wasn't good for me.

SUPdude responded:
Most of my dairy is via skim milk or yogurt. I've been doing that since I was a kid ( Thanks Mom n Dad )

At 38, I try to avoid cheese and ice cream and just let the rest come as it may. The GF and I do have hole-in-one ice cream if we get one. Had four of them last Sunday ( mini-golf ).

larsstarscanary responded:
I used to drink plain heavy cream--in happier days with blueberries (I'm allergic). I love but used to drink milk--any kind except skim. I would eat sour cream with strawberries.

I don't know how much longer I will be able to eat tapioca pudding (made with milk).

I used to put milk in my pancakes and cakes.

I want to make pudding and ice cream from scratch like dear mom used to make.

I use powdered milk to make dough in my bread machine. (I make delicious rolls out of the dough.)

Kryptonicneonium responded:
I try to have a pint of fat free milk and a low-fat string cheese stick with breakfast every morning, outside of that I try to avoid cheese and the like as much as possible. I also drink a little 8 oz. bottle of 1% choc milk after every one of my workouts (Every other day).

cliffie23 responded:
I found a good way to eat my cereal in the morning, instead of putting milk on it I put a container of yogurt on it. I use the Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt, this way I have my fruit already in my cereal.Ellen

Snowbow replied to cliffie23's response:
I have always disliked milk, even as a kid. Now, my main source of calcium is yogurt, but I don't eat it often enough to get sufficient calcium daily, I'm sure.

Athough I know I should take supplements, they are always the size of a golf ball (ok, I'm exaggerating). I have always had trouble swallowing pills, so I gave up on the supplement.

Why don't the supplement makers come up with a smaller dose calcium supplement so it's easier to take???

ybmagpye responded:
I love yogurt! Because of so-called lactose intollerance (my inablity as an adult mammal to digest milk sugars) I have stuck with yogurt and cheeses because friendly bacteria handle the digestion of milk sugars for me. I think milk products are important for the calcium content. I can't take calcium pills because those give me gawd-awful nocturnal charlie horses (yes, yes, I countered the calcium pills with magnesium and the like).

Recently I did a dietary hyperleap though; I've discovered raw milk. I discovered I can digest raw milk with no problem.

I only drink a quart a month (totally look forward to the 1st of the month for that reason! I restrict my drinking raw milk because it is whole, and expensive. I have taken to also buying raw cheeses too. So far I haven't not dropped dead due to bacterial poisoning (knock on wood).

jayhawkgirl199 responded:
I've never like drinking milk either, but I recently read an article that said that women who eat 3 servings of yogurt daily lost lik e25% more weight over 12 weeks than women who didn't, so I try really hard and get in 3 servings a day. I eat Kroger carbmaster, since it's about 80 calories and only 3 grams carbs and only 3g of sugars and it's cheap and tastes GREAT! lol my favorite flavors are vanilla and the new strawberry pomegranite. I also love cottage cheese! i used to have to take a calcium supplement to get enough calcium, but since I've been eating yogurt I've been getting plenty.

richardbujol responded:
I actually prefer soy milk but, I don't think it is dairy.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to richardbujol's response:
You are right, technically it isn't dairy but...it's a complete protein and you can cook and bake with it like you can cow's milk and substitute it in smoothies, coffee drinks and anything else you can think of! I love soy milk too. Certain brands taste better than others though--what brand do you like?

FitGiz replied to jayhawkgirl199's response:
I am so glad someone else mentioned Carbmaster yogurt. So many of the name brand yogurts have so much surgar. I have a serving of whole grain cereal and a cup of carbmaster yogurt almost every morning (280 calories, 21 grams protrin, 40 carbs- 36 from the cereal).

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.