Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Have my own recipes......
Cindigal posted:
I consider myself creative when it comes to put together a meal that's healthy. I been that way for a long way, probably we had a big familly...6 kids....and my mom cooked all the time. What mom back in the 60's didn't cook all the time...??. Anyway, I simplified the process of course....with as little as prep I get away with. I am all about simplicity.....but... with tasty meals. I can sit for a long time and just dream up recipes in my head. The other day I was at the pool, I had my notebook.... just thinking about meals i can cook. Also side dishes, deserts, etc. I was a writing fool. Maybe I am a little bit crazy. A long time ago....I wanted to make my own cook book but don't know how to go about it. I think it takes a lot of money, which...I don't have any.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Well, there are options-you could start a food blog. That way you can share recipes with others right away. It also can lead to a cookbook-there are a lot of ways to do a blog to book.

Another option is a self-press cookbook-lulu.com and heritagecookbook are two cookbook services that people I know have been happy with. Here is more information on how to publish your own cookbook: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001422.html (outside WebMD)

I have to say that the food blog is my favorite option-more people get your recipes, share their love for food, and there is nothing like getting an email from a grateful reader of your blog. (You can also make a bit of money once your blog gets established-or a lot...Pioneer Woman and Julie and Julia both started off with blogs and now make more than a living with it.)
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
All that said-I would love it if you shared here and shared your ideas either on this community or on the recipe community.

Cindigal replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello Louise,

Thank you so much for the info. That's a excellent idea you mentioned.. .I could start blogging about recipes that I make. The more I create recipes in my head... I can excited to try the recipe. What you said above......"(You can also make a bit of money once your blog gets established-or a lot...Pioneer Woman and Julie and Julia both started off with blogs and now make more than a living with it.)". Can you clarify that part....??. It's sounds really neat. I went to that one site you mentioned. "Lulu" but it seems like looking for a needle in a haystack. I don't need anything that big. I want to start little, like blogging. Can you explain what you talked in your post. Thanks.

cindigal

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Cindigal's response:
Oh my-you want me to drop you down the rabbit hole of food blogging.

Pioneer Woman is a food blogger who just had a cookbook come out in the fall. They are making a movie about her life (Reese Witherspoon I think is playing Ree) and she is a very sweet woman who just started a small blog about her life on the ranch. Julie and Julia was a movie last year-based on a book about a woman who couldn't really cook but decided that she would cook everything in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. That said-most food bloggers don't end up with movies-many end up with book deals. Others just end up sharing their recipes with other people as a hobby or as a living.

Once you blog regularly for about 3 months, you can qualify for the better ad networks. You might start out only making a few dollars a month once you qualify-but if you keep at it, write an engaging story with your recipes, try them out, photograph them-your audience will grow. The sky is the limit when it comes to ad revenue on food blogs right now-I know a good number of food bloggers who make several hundred to several thousand dollars a month with their blogs.

Food bloggers also get a lot of chances to review products-you can get paid to do that or you can just receive samples/coupons for yourself and your readers.

I always tell people to do it because they love talking about themselves or are passionate about a topic like food.

I have my personal preferences with how to start blogging and how to get a hand with the basics-I don't know if you need that much info yet. (My personal preference is a wordpress blog on your own domain-because then you have more flexibility if you decide you want to make money with your blog-not just chat about food and recipes.(although there is nothing wrong with that either and still would make the same recommendation.)

Cindigal replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Louise,

Please excuse me for my ignorance about this stuff.....I really want to blog my recipes, but those things you mentioned is so confusing. Now, the Pioneer lady has her own recipes.. how can put my recipes in there.

If you please....give more detail explanation about this......"wordpress blog on your own domain-because then you have more flexibility if you decide you want to make money with your blog-not just chat about food and recipes.(although there is nothing wrong with that either and still would make the same recommendation.). Thanks.

cindigal

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Cindigal's response:
I need to get moving for the day-I will be back to tell you more. You can't add your recipes to the Pioneer Woman's blog-but you can start your own blog-which is pretty easy.

This will help answer a lot of your questions: How to blog. (off WebMD.)
Here is a good group (off WebMD) where you can read some more about how to start a blog and do it well. The women there can and will be super at helping you with any questions you have.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
You have gotten some GREAT advice and tips from Louise!

I know more about the publishing a cookbook through the more traditional route (literary agent and publisher). So if you ever want to know about that I can tell you the pros and cons (after having published about 26 books in the past 22 years.

But...to get you started on the sharing part of things...you can always post a recipe here on this cooking "exchange". I can even do the nutrition analysis on the recipe and post it after you've posted the recipe. 

That's always an option!

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 84 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.