Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
I eat great, but cannot lose weight!!!
HasCeliacs posted:
I am an avid vegie and fruit eater. I work out at least an hour every morning. I dont drink sodas, coffee or any juice that isnt 100% juice. I have celiacs-so no gluten for me. But i cant seem to lose any weight!!
I do eat meats, I try not to eat red meat more than once a week, and I eat chicken and fish at least 3 times a week. It seems like I do everything the healthy diets say too, but nothing happens! Does anyone have any advice?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

pallzy responded:
It sounds like the foods that you're eating are great. Have you counted your calories or kept a food journal. Even healthy food can add up on the calories. I would recommend that you keep a food journal, measure your serving sizes, then you can go to the food-o-meter here on WebMD and see what your actual calorie intake is. Then you'll want to see what your calorie needs are and compare.

HasCeliacs replied to pallzy's response:
just started one this week, so far i have stayed within the 1200-1500 range which is what i read as recommended for me. I am not a tall person, 5 feet and am not really overweight just about 10 pounds. But I will continue with the journal to see if there is something im missing....

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
What about exercise???? Since your food choices all seem sensible, you could work on building muscle and increasing the calories "out" side of the equation. Are you even overweight? Sometimes people have an idea to lose weight when their body is really at it's normal healthy place.?

You could also discuss this with your doctor and possibly have a blood test to make sure there aren't any imbalances in hormones (like thyroid) that might be making weight loss more difficult.

Keep us posted!

pallzy replied to HasCeliacs's response:
The closer you are to your "ideal weight", the harder it's going to be to lose weight. Exercise is going to have to be the key. You probably don't have that much room to cut the calories in. You have to create a deficit of 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. Being that you are only 5' tall and only 10 pounds to lose, your maintain calorie intake is probably not that much higher than 1500 and you don't want to go below 1200 to keep your nutrition up. So, adding exercise may be the best way, burn some extra calories to get your deficit.

HasCeliacs replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
I exercise every morning for about an hour....I used to run 4-5 miles a day but have a knee injury now so I cant. I do push ups, pull ups and light weights (5-8 lbs). I dont really want to build muscle but just get leaner. My ideal weight is between 108-116 for my height, so I was shooting for the 115 mark. I do have excess weight in my stomach and thighs so I dont think Im at my normal/healthy weight.

My fiancee mentioned the thyroid idea also. He thought of it because I do not sleep well and lose a lot of hair ( I thought the hair loss was normal).
I will schedule an appt with my doctor and get some labs done, maybe the answer is there.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to HasCeliacs's response:
Sounds like you have a smart fiancee (LOL). So you've definitely got the "fit" and exercise part of the health equation down as well!

It sounds like you are concerned about losing weight on certain parts of your body and that you aren't too far from what those standard "tables" say is ideal for your height. Just know that a certain amount of "curves" is quite normal for some of our body types and genetics.

I'm glad you are going to look into the thyroid test as well. If that's part of what's going on, it's definitely better to know this as soon as possible so the imbalance can be corrected. Not sleeping well and losing hair are important symptoms to mention to the doctor when you go for your appointment.

Wishing you all the best!

KirbyBird replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
Good luck with the thyroid testing! No really.... I had to fight with my doctor just to get tested and then he comes back with saying it is in the "normal" range - ok then buddy - why I am losing hair, fat, dry skin, falling asleep at work after sleeping about 9 hrs?!! Yup....new doctor tells me that I have Hashimoto's and even with a so-called "normal" range, I need medicine (FINALLY!) - I have been on meds since 2006 now and please - even if you have to beg! - make sure you get on T3 meds (like Armour - T4 alone will not help!).

rohvannyn replied to KirbyBird's response:
Also, it should be noted that building mucle doesn't mean getting bulky. It takes a lot of work to do that. Building muscle can also mean looking leaner and holding yourself straighter so you end up looking thinner even when you aren't. Meanwhile, you can be a little stronger and more capable. Best of luck with everything. Thyroid testing is a good idea too.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

lindac216 replied to rohvannyn's response:
try to cut mt late night snack

F0XXYANGEL responded:
I also was a healthy eater and exercised daily but struggled with losing weight. After multiple tests came back normal and different doctors questioning me on rather I was being honest about what I was eating or how much I was exercising, I finally had a doctor tell me "Don't drink any calories!". Just that simple bit of advice and the pounds came off...unless you are drinking nothing but water, you often don't take into consideration the calories and carbs you consume in what you drink. I didn't drink soda or things that I knew were laden with sugar but when I started adding up the healthy things I was drinking, I was shocked. The food journal is great for keeping track of your eating but don't forget to keep track of what you are drinking as well. Good luck!

compoundia responded:
Hi, you need to work on your diet, first evaluate how many times you take meal a day. Sometimes we do our best but still you don't able to loose weight. check if you are eating the meal oily, it can effect. You should so some heavy exercise on daily basis. It will help you to loose your weight.

healhapy responded:
you might want to know your metabolic rate-I have had a blessed high rate(minimum 3200 calories a day) was extremely active all my life and could eat as often as I desired and always had difficulty gaining weight. Now 58, at 5 feet 10 and 180 with 7% body fat , although it has slowed, I still am very active and eat 3-4 thousand calories a day. I am grateful that I began at an early age to research nutrition and what went into my body. as well as consulted those with knowledge and practical experience. I have never suffered from any disease or deficiency and have come to understand that I am in a small minority. My heart and prayers are with you. CONSULT THOSE WHOM YOU TRUST and research your disease. God bless you

healhapy replied to F0XXYANGEL's response:
excellent response-the food industry disguises processed products with additives we neither need nor want-yet the responsibility lies with you-read and research the ingredients and you will see the truth and be better equipped to make informed choices.

healhapy replied to rohvannyn's response:
As a competitive natural bodybuilder for nearly 30 years I have seen a wide range of "diets" and supplements and conditions. Nearly all people who have difficulty achieving their goals have approached it incorrectly. Your childhood begins habits that we follow through life-if you are sedentary, and did not eat a balanced diet with exercise and or physical work your metabolism suffered damage as did your body image. When we are young and developing it is paramount to eat unprocessed foods and not take up drinking anything other than whole juices with fiber and plenty of water.

To change long held beliefs and habits is difficult and challenging. Nearly every person I have trained from teenagers to the elderly had some physical, and/or emotional problem and finally came to acknowledge that and made great strides improving their lives. You must examine yourself in the clear light of practicality-do not pursue goals that are unrealistic. The statistics show that the "success" parameters are relatively rare-80% of those who try to lose weight, build muscle and improve their lives FAIL-that's 4 out of 5. With failure comes apathy. DO NOT try to "look" like someone else-my physique was crafted from proper nutrition, hard work and CONSISTENCY-I feel "ugly" when I take 6 months off. My heart and prayers are with you.

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.