Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Child eats salt.
Daryn32 posted:
Not sure where to post this. I caught my 11 year old son eating salt out of his hands. Then I noticed he had eaten a whole bottle of seasoned salt, cajun seasoning, and was eating the montreal steak seasoning. He also will get the soy sauce out of the refrigerator, pour some in his hand and lick it. I put a stop to it once we realized what he was doing but is this some type of sodium deficiency that I need to have checked out?

fedupagain responded:
could be a sodium deficiency-check with your dr. My 3 year old eats the most spicey foods imaginable. I noticed that when i accidently put too much hot peppers in my food( i love spicey but could not handle that) and as i put my plate down my 3 yo started eating it without so much as a blink. She eats foods covered with hot sauce, buffalo hot wings are her favorite and spicey noodles. I am not sure how to handle that.

Daryn32 replied to fedupagain's response:
Yeah, he loves spicy foods too. I just found it really odd that he eats THAT MUCH salt. We are going to have him checked at the DR.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
It sounds like there is something going on here...for him to be not just seeking out salt but also other forms of sodium (like the soy sauce).

The pediatrician and subsequent tests (I would think) will shed some light on his electrolyte and hormone status. It's always better to know what is the underlying imbalance or cause so that it can be remedied!

Keep us posted please and wishing you the answers you seek!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I have to say that when I was about the same age, I had a thing for lemon pepper seasoning, old bay, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.

My now 11-year-old went through a period where if given the chance she would drench her entire plate in soy sauce and now she does a similar thing with A-1. I don't get it but maybe it just is interesting-like other kids will eat Kool-aid powder or pixy sticks.

Check with your child's doctor-but I don't think that there was anything in particular wrong with me or my youngest-other than a weird preference for salty.
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

Daryn32 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
You know, If I think back, I use to lck the season salt too when I was younger. Just not the WHOLE bottle. I will let you know what the DR says. Thanks for the replies everyone.

candacear responded:
My 11 yr old daughter has been doing this since 2. I am very concerned as the body must be saying she is lacking something. She now has very bad headaches of which the dr ordered a thyroid test of which came out low, so he did a thyroid panel of which showed normal. Now he is doing an MRI
Yes please speak with your Dr.

rohvannyn replied to candacear's response:
I would think it would mean she has some kind of an imbalance too, so talking to the doctor is good. It's not completely unheard of however. Children in other countries tolerate very hot and/or spicy things. If I go to the Mexican section of the grocery store I find dried salted plums, VERY salty, and candy that is made of hot pepper powder and sugar. Same with several Asian cultures.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.