Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you shop at Farmers' Markets?
larsstarscanary posted:
I had such a good time at the farmers' market yesterday. I went down the row just gathering up veggies, poultry, meat, fish and fruits. I put all of my goodies in a wheeled bag and lugged it a few blocks because of the parade and finally to the avenue where the bus was detoured.

I put some meat at the bottom of my large pot and a whole bunch of veggies. I made the best stew ever. I can't wait to eat it again.

Take the Poll

Do you shop at farmers' markets?
  • Yes, exclusively!
  • No, only in the supermarkets.
  • Yes, but only if they have organic food.
  • No, I prefer organic or natural supermarkets.
  • I go wherever food looks the best.
vote
View Poll Results

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I shop at farmer's markets in season but it doesn't matter a whole lot to me whether it is organic or not. I do prefer locally grown so tend to ignore the stalls that have produce from far away.
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

EricE_MA responded:
My response isn't available.

I *shop* at farmers' markets & stands frequently, but find the prices to be consistently much higher than grocery stores, so end up *buying* at grocery stores.

I would really like to support the local farmers via farmers' markets, but I cannot help but be price sensitive. Most of the farmers' markets near me are fairly small with little competition. When I lived in Europe, the farmers' markets were large and very competitive and prices were very good. Fortunately, the grocery stores do a fair job of providing locally grown produce when available.

larsstarscanary replied to EricE_MA's response:
I hear you--Around here, too, they are a bit pricey. I try to go just the same because I believe that the more people who come, the better their prices will get. (I could be wrong; I probably am wrong, but I want to believe.)

I've never been to Europe. Which country were you in?

larsstarscanary replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
The sweetest fruit I've gotten this year has been from small greengrocers, and it wasn't organic, so I can see why it doesn't matter much.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to EricE_MA's response:
There are so many farmer's markets here that we learned that for the best deals, to go to the Sunday one in the less tony part of town. No, they don't have the exotic produce but the same vendor who sold his cucumbers for a fortune the day before has cut the price significantly in that area.
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

EricE_MA replied to larsstarscanary's response:
I lived in the UK, Germany, and Switzerland. Although the farmers' markets that I went to were more populated areas than where I am now. I believe farmers' markets in cities tend to be more like what I experienced there with more farmers and better prices.

I think you are correct that if more people go to farmers' markets, more farmers' will participate, creating a more competitive atmosphere. But there's a bit of chicken/egg issue here.

One interesting thing is that as part of the supplemental nutrition program, the federal government is handing out coupons specifically for farmers' markets. This year they provided coupons worth $30 for the supplemental nutrition for elders program.

Something like that supplemental nutrition program is happening here, too.

EricE_MA replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Just in case I wasn't clear, I was referring to the US supplemental nutrition program. Farmers' market coupons are available to people supported by WIC and separately for eligible elders. Information about the Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program can be found here:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/SeniorFMNP/SeniorFMNPoverview.htm

This year's coupons most likely have already been distributed. It was a very popular program here in Massachusetts and many more elders lined up for the coupons than coupons were available.

Thanks for the info, Eric.

Vindalf; replied to larsstarscanary's response:
You need another option on the poll! I do shop at farmer's markets, whether or not they have organic food, but not exclusively. No option in your poll fits me!

larsstarscanary replied to Vindalf;'s response:
I will ask for WebMD for more numbered choices...:)

larsstarscanary replied to Vindalf;'s response:
Could you have selected option 5?

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.