Skip to content

Announcements

Olive Oil and Health Benefits
An_198267 posted:
Hello everyone. I am posting about a question I had. Most people know or have heard about the health benefits of Olive Oil, especially extra virgin olive oil and how it can help prevent heart disease. So naturally someone concerned about this would cook with olive oil. My question is, what about DRINKING olive oil? I'm not talking a tall glass of the stuff, but instead consuming maybe two small tablespoons a day straight from the spoon. Is this ok/safe to do? With that small amount I can't imagine it hindering you getting the health benefits from olive oil, or being too unsafe consuming it this way instead of cooking with it, but I wanted some feedback to be sure.

larsstarscanary responded:
The thought of drinking oil brings back memories of castor oil. Yuck!

esmo04 replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Hah, I know it won't be great for taste, but may be worth it.

larsstarscanary replied to esmo04's response:
If it is dipped in excellent bread or used on toasted bread with crushed garlic, I'd go for it.

esmo04 replied to larsstarscanary's response:
I'm talking sipping it right from the spoon. Crappy taste, but hey you're still getting it.

larsstarscanary responded:
I think all you need is 2 teaspoons, not 2 tablespoons...

Tomato05 responded:
If you drink the olive oil, it is better to drink it with food (in which case you may as well put it in or on the food!) - the reason being that certain vitamins are fat-soluble and need oil to become available to the body.

Also, antioxidants eg lycopene are far better absorbed in combination with fat, which is why experts recommend a bit of olive oil on your salad, salsa etc.

Helpful Tips

Tuesday's Kitchen Tips - Sharpen Your Knives For Less Tears
If you find yourself tearing up while cutting onions, try sharpening your knives. The oils released by a dull knife trying to get ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.