Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Healthy Vegetable Side Dishes
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
You did such a good job with the pork ideas-what ideas do you have for side dishes? I tend toward a frozen veg cooked in the microwave or a bagged salad way too often.

I need some new healthy, quick vegetable side dish ideas.
~Louise
Sr Community Moderator

youngcoconut responded:
My favorite is roasted vegetables. I cut into bite size pieces and season with a Tbs or two of olive oil and salt and pepper first. Then spread out onto a large pan lined with foil. Bake at about 450 for 20-25 min and there you go. Remember that the more delicate the vegetable, the bigger the piece should be to prevent overcooking. And of course the more dense veggies (i.e. root veggies) should be smaller. I love this way of cooking vegetables b/c it caramelizes the sugars and intensifies the flavors.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to youngcoconut's response:
Oh, I haven't roasted vegetables in a while! Great idea!
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Got an indoor grill? That's one of my favorite ways to cook certain veggies like asparagus spears or eggplant (brush lightly with olive oil), and zucchini strips. 

I also like throwing some edamame in the microwave to cook and then drain and drizzle a little olive oil over the top and sprinkle with some fresh black pepper.

AnnMarieLeague replied to youngcoconut's response:
I had roasted brussel sprouts last night. I normally hate brussel sprouts but loved them cooked this way.

EricE_MA responded:
"healthy vegetable" is redundant! ;)

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.