Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
My Crock pot died
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
After 30 years, our crock pot has died. (mid-dinner prep on Tuesday) I looked at them on the Internet and don't know what to choose! There are so many new features and sizes.

Do you have recommendations or do you just have an ordinary slow cooker?
~Louise
Sr Community Moderator

jis4judy responded:
thats awfull louise right in the middle of cooking too...
My popcorn air popper bit the dust the other day too //
I am not even sure they still sell them . I never used a crock pot
so No help in that area.. good luck chooseing a new one
Hugs Judy

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to jis4judy's response:
I know. We had a nice rosemary chicken in the crockpot that did not take well to finishing up in the oven.

I saw an air popper at the Navy exchange the other day, so they definitely still make them.

You have never used a crock pot? Wow.
~Louise Sr Community Moderator

jis4judy replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes I did stews etc and stuff but never used a crock pot just simmered stuff on the stove top..
I am allways amazed at the stuff people use my daughter in law has a lot of those things crock pot george forman grill and more don;t have those either...
I will admit the spagetti sauce and meatballs she made in that crock pot was really good ..
Hugs Judy:)

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
You might want to check out the new aroma brand rice cooker turned slow cooker. It's two in one! There might be some nice sales for it since it's a new product.

I've never had a slow cooker die on me--they seems to last longer than any other appliance. Now toaster ovens...that's a different story.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
I know, that is what my partner said. It actually was her slow cooker...and she got it as a wedding present 30 years ago.

Toasters and microwaves don't seem to last at all. We also tend to kill a coffee pot every few years.

Judy-
I have always liked the crockpot because I can throw dinner together in the morning and not have to worry about it all day. It saved me from many a meal out because I would get home or get done with work and dinner would be magically ready. They also use so little power and don't heat up the kitchen. It really has helped with finances over the years.

My crock pot and my mixer are the only two electric appliances I wouldn't ditch.

We have an indoor grill but not Foreman, because they aren't big enough for our family.

I got an inexpensive rice cooker for Christmas last year--that has already paid for itself. I am a horrid rice person and can't seem to make it work on the stove top--ever. I have been cooking for 35 years and in that time I never had rice come out properly UNLESS I used boil in bag or microwaved it. With six people I ended up using two boil in bags per dinner with rice. The extra expense definitely added up.

We use a manual can opener, don't have a food processor, left the quesadilla maker my partner got as a gift when we moved. We do have a waffle iron, but again, I got it 20 years ago as a wedding gift. We have a blender that I hate and is stored in a cabinet. No popcorn popper.

jis4judy replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
LoL louise I do see the advantages of the crock pot ..
your kitchen isn;t much more electrical than mine
I have had blenders and they allways were a pain to clean etc so I now have an imersion blender...that I use sometimes... I used to have a waffle maker loved that but the heating eliment died in it so no more waffles ...I have a mixer
the microwave I rarely use.. I saw rice cookers in the store while I was shopping for the air popcorn popper...and wondered what they were good for I have it down pat makeing brown rice on the stove ...
the things that get the most action around here is the popcorn popper first then the toaster... the mixer is used on holidays
the imersion blender gets some use when makeing a smoothy but I didn;t make any smoothies this past summer..
I use that imersion blender during the holidays too...
I get by with way less stuff thats for sure,,
Hugs Judy:)

A quick tip for blender cleaning is to fill it partway with hot water and a few drops of dish soap and then run it to clean.

The microwave gets a lot of use here in a home with a lot of teens and a partner who reheats coffee in it all day. I also tend to make frozen veggies in it.

The toaster oven gets some serious action too at times.

The mixer-yes-holidays.

I really like the convenience of the rice cooker, (and it makes steel cut oats without pain) but I wish it wasn't such a space hog. I have seen smaller ones, but they were more expensive.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I just wanted to add that one of my favorite cookbooks is Healthy Crockery Cookery by Mable Hoffman. I don't know if it is still in print--but worth checking for at your library.

grammato2 responded:
So sorry to hear about your crock pot. I still use mine I got as a wedding present 27 years ago! Yes, they do last forever. I got my daughter and son-in-law a fancy new digital one for Christmas last year and my daughter says she actually likes my old basic one better. So there ya go, I thought it was just me but I don't take well to the new gadgets with all the bells and whistles. I do have a new George Foreman Grill and love it. I use that and my crock pot more than anything. Good Luck!

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to grammato2's response:
I ended up replacing it with another basic one. I think I am glad I did. I would hate to have to THINK about the crock pot and how to use it. The whole idea is the not thinking.
~Louise Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love. Craig Claiborne, Kitchen Primer

Helpful Tips

Easy Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
Decided to post a separate tip. Easy Chicken Coconut Curry Soup This recipe serves four, but you can double it to serve a larger ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.