Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cranberries
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
The age-old jelly-out-of-a-can that is traditionally served at Thanksgiving does not hold a candle to the different things you can do with fresh cranberries. Read Chef Domenica Catelli's latest blog post to see how she's using cranberries this season. Then come back here to share your comments and recipes. How are you using cranberries?

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi I have been makeing my own cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries every year for the past 10 I use the recipe on the package I only use half the sugar recomended and it is very good ..
this year I might add in some orange or lemon zest
sometimes I add in raspberries whatever is plentiful abd available ...
Hugs Judy:)

EricE_MA responded:
My fresh cranberry sauce with orange juice, orange zest and fresh grated ginger is a favorite at holiday meals.

Jis4Judy replied to EricE_MA's response:
Hi Eric that sounds really good I may take some of those flavors and create my own new cranberry dish

Cindigal replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Hey judy...long time. I havnt been around web md. I have been crafting, my favorite past-time. I am doing Christmas crafts. I am into recycling crafts, material that you can use around the house; cardboard, paper, plastic, tin. I just made a beautiful wreath made out of plastic bags cut into 2 inch strips and then I draped silver cording to make a bow and glued miniature ornaments around the wreath. It is really cute.,

About cranberries, I absolutely love them.....I was browsing for simple recipes for cranberry dish for thanksgiving. Very simple, basic one. I have a cranberrry pineapple jgelatin recipe that I got from Food Network. It has a topping with cream cheese, confectioners sugar and whipped cream that you put in the middle of the mold when you serve the mold.

Cindigal replied to EricE_MA's response:
That sounds delicious, and Ilove ginger. How much ginger do you put in. All summer I drink tea, my own tea. I use ginger with my tea. I use my dutch oven and heat the water and put my tea bags in, shave very thin pieces of ginger with the tea bags, and I add my own sweetener. I like strong tea so I keep my tea bags in the water so as long I want. I keep a gallon of tea at all timesin the fridge in the summer. If you want orange flavored tea, you probably could put zest of orange I suppose.

EricE_MA replied to Cindigal's response:
The amount of ginger I use is somewhat determined by the eaters. If it is just me, about 2 TB. If the audience is more tentative about strong flavors less than 1 TB. That's per one bag of cranberries.

I forgot to mention another ingredient... Cinnamon.

Other cranberry uses:
Cranberry Bread - I make a regular whole wheat bread recipe which would include raisins but use cranberries instead. Very nice, especially as a breakfast bread.

Cranberry pancakes - make pancakes: add cranberries.

Cranberry-apple crisp.

Jis4Judy replied to Cindigal's response:
Hi Cindigal
Yes you haven;t been around much for a long time how is the weight reduction going?
i used to love crafting.. I made pine cone wreaths a few times
easy to gather around here outside the yard is full of pinecones

that cranberry mold sounds interesting almost like a parfeit
welcome back kiddo

I use cranberries a lot in oatmeal pancakes waffles and stuffing

Cindigal replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Hey there,

I am watching......i still dont have a scale, I gauge myself by how I feel in my clothes. In some pants I can wear 12, some others I have to wear 14. I am due to go to doctors office within a month or two, then I will see how much I weigh. I am 5'7 inch and I am muscular......all my life i have broad shoulders and have muscular structure. But I still want go down in weight. I am doing the special K thing where I eat Special K cereal and I eat the protein bars....which are very tasty.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.