Includes Expert Content
Bought my thanksgiving dinner today
cindigal posted:
I am set.....even though I am cooking for myself. I will have plenty of leftovers. I am doing just a turkey breast. I went to Walmart and get the smallest they had... 7.5 lb. I have a great recipe for stuffing, and my sweet potatoes are always good. I make a sauce with butter, brown sugar, pineapple juice concentrate to make it tangy. Then when the potatoes are ready to go in the oven, I pour the juice over. I add pineapple tidbits and mandarin oranges too. At the last minute, I put marshmallows over. Everyone likes my sweet potatoes every year when I do go somewhere. Besides that, I will do the string bean casserole.. and have crescents. That's it. I bought Edy's Pumpkin Ice Cream for dessert. It's funny, I am not fond for pumpkin pie, but the ice cream is so rich. Edy's has their holiday ice cream out now.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Sounds like you have all the trimmings!

I love pumpkin pie but I have to say I really love a pumpkin cheesecake that I developed a few years back. But the pumpkin ice cream sounds like a beautiful finish to your thanksgiving feast. There's a recipe for turkey breast and an herb rub that I developed for an article on WebMD...it uses a George Foreman grill too!

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/thanksgiving-turkey-recipes

Have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving and holiday season!

cindigal replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
Thank you for the link... I just saw the post today. My dinner was wonderful....even though if was only for me/. The turkey was excellent, I had a baste that I saw on Food Network that couldn't beat... Sandra Lee..semi-homemade, I love that lady. She did a paste with a stick of softened butter and mix in herbs, rosemary, sage, parsley, salt and pepper and she puts in a plastic bag for a day in the fridge. When she prepares her turkey. She slits the plastic bag and slices "coins" with the pre-made baste. I did my own thing, I didnt have fresh herbs, I had poultry seasoning shaker, sea salt, fresh pepper, garlic and softened butter and made a paste and rub the turkey breast all over and.....under the skin....most important. The breast was succulent, I have been eating every day since and I have alot more turkey left.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to cindigal's response:
Best part of Thanksgiving? The leftovers! Ha ha.

jis4judy replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
Hi Elaine Thats my favorite part of thanksgiving the leftovers
becauae they are easy to reheat and they still taste great
with way less effort..LOl
Hugs Judy:)