Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Best & Worst Thanksgiving Stories?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi everyone!

Thanksgiving is coming up, and it's one of my favorite times of the year. Everyone seems to celebrate the holiday a bit differently. And, while there are some holiday staples for the dinner table, all of us also seem to have different food favorites.

What was the best Thanksgiving you've ever had? The worst?

What was the funniest thing that ever happened at a Thanksgiving dinner you attended?

What was the weirdest food you've ever been served for a Thanksgiving meal?

We want to hear your stories! Share them here.

Happy Turkey Day Week,
Olivia

Barb4545 responded:
I love Thanksgiving, too! I wonder who doesn't? LOL

Let's see...for many years we used to go visit family out of state for Thanksgiving. We definitely went cuz we loved them and not because of the food they served.

Every year the kids would be excited to go see their cousins, but moan and groan about the dinner they knew would come. Our cousins don't believe in using any sugar or fat when they cook.

Mashed potatoes would taste like chalk -- no butter, no cream, and no salt. Pies looked lovely, tasted weird. Even the green bean casserole had the odd flavor of some sort of non-fat "cream" of mushroom soup. The turkey was the only jewel in the meal...always cooked to perfection!

We always try to eat healthy in our family on a daily basis. (NOT always successful, though.) But, at Thanksgiving, I go traditional. It's one meal a year when I can pull out my grandmother's recipes and bring back happy memories.

Now that the kids are older (and gas pricier) , we just stay home and have our own personal feast.

Barb

tenuli responded:
When I was a kid, we had a very small grey cat, appropriately named "Smokey". Smokey loved turkey. Every Thanksgiving he would try to get into the kitchen to get some of the bird. My mom was always his nemasis.

We always had a huge turkey - the bigger the better. You see, there were six kids (three of them boys with major appetites) and my parents and anyone who needed a place to come home to for the holiday. Mom would send Dad out to buy the bigget bird he could find. This was supposed to happen the week before the holiday so it would have time to thaw in the refrigerator.

I don't know why, but one year Dad didn't get it as far in advance as needed, and Mom was forced to thaw the turkey in its wrapper in the sink with cold water. She carefully closed both doors to the kitchen and warned all of us, upon pain of death or dish detail for the rest of our lives, NOT to let Smokey into the kitchen.

I don't know how he did it, but that cat managed to get in there. He jumped up on the counter and sized up the turkey. Remember, he was a very small cat and it was a very large turkey -- probably around 30 pounds! And the turkey was frozen. That didn't stop Smokey. He jumped up on the frozen bird, dug his claws into the barely thawed skin and tried to walk away with the turkey! He put everything into it - he looked like a cartoon character trying to forge forward in the face of a blizzard.

We heard a noise in the kitchen and went in to check. We couldn't stop laughing. Mom was fit to be tied, but finally she started laughing too. We had to manually unlatch the cat from the bird. And yes, Mom cooked it. She just carefully sliced away four little areas where Smokey had left his mark.

It is still one of my favorite Thanksgiving memories.

laura2gemini2 responded:
The first time I ever tried to make the turkey for thanksgiving, I was about 20. I thought I got all the giblets out of the body cavity, but didnt realize they also put some in the neck area.

As I was trying to carve the bird I pulled out this bag full of giblets out of the top. My mom laughed so hard she had tears because she did the exact same thing when she was my age, and apparently so did my grandmother when she tried to cook her first store bought turkey. Apparently I'm just following the female tradition.

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Olivia
I almost forgot about this thanksgiving adventure
we had a nice fresh turkey all prepped to roast and my oven
didn;t light the ignition failed . so I had the bright idea of putting the bird in the upper oven well that was ok but the door of the upper oven wouldn;t close the turkey was too big ,,, so I wrapped the oven opening with foil and turned the bird pan and all around every half hour so it would cook evenly
it came out fine but it was probably the best turkey we ever had ..
so it maybe is classified as worst and best LOl
Hugs Judy:)

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 82 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.