Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Question about cooking eggs
Protege385 posted:
Not sure if this is where to post this, but I have a question about this. I was sick a few days ago and had syptoms of food poisoning. I eat ten egg whites a day and recently began buying bulk eggs.

I always hardboil eggs. I noticed that the egg whites of this current batch of bulk eggs are always really soft and have a slightly different texture than normal. I ate eggs for the first time since I got sick and felt a little queesy afterwards. I tested a few uncooked and they are not bad. Could there be a bacterial problem or anything that could cause sickness from eating cooked eggs?

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Generally whatever bacteria might be in raw eggs is eliminated when eggs are cooked. When liquid egg products are pasteurized, this also eliminates the risk of bacteria.

Are you sure it was food poisoning and not the flu? Maybe you felt queazy because your system is still recovering?

Let me find you a good link to describing different types of bacteria and food poisoning symptoms so you can see if this describes what you experienced. I'll post it as a reply here, okay?

erice_ma replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
> Let me find you a good link to describing different types of bacteria

FDA's Bad Bug Book is my favorite.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodborneIllness/FoodborneIllnessFoodbornePathogensNaturalToxins/BadBugBook/default.htm

> Could there be a bacterial problem or anything that could cause sickness from eating cooked eggs?

The most common bacteria affecting eggs is Salmonella which is destroyed by cooking. But there are some bacteria which are not destroyed by cooking and others where if the food is temperature abused (held at room temp for a long time while bacteria are alive) can lead to enterotoxins not destroyed by cooking. So, it isn't impossible to have gotten food poisoning from cooked eggs. But it isn't very likely either.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to erice_ma's response:
Thanks for that great link EricE

I couldn't find the resource that I had in mind but I think this one might also be helpful.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001652.htm

Most food poisoning strikes within 2 to 6 hours after consuming the various food poisoning bacteria. If you click on the various bacteria listed there, you'll find some specific symptoms for each and you might have a better idea as to which bacteria (and potential food) was causing the illness.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 84 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.