Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

DIfference in Olive OIl for Eating and Cooking
JibberJabberWhatsTheMatter posted:
Hello,

Hope you can help with my inquiry as I have been searching on the Internet, but in vain:

I have two bottles of Olive OIl

First bottle says: 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Second bottle says: Extra Virgin Olive Oil First Cold Press

Few questions:

1. What are the differences between the two bottles
2. Which bottle is best for eating, i.e. pouring on toast, salad, etc
3. Which bottle is best for cooking, i.e. to stir chopped onions till they are reddish brown, which serves as the basis for meat dishes

erice_ma responded:
The differences between the two are minimal and possibly nil. According to OliveOilSource.com's "olictionary" the concepts of "first press" and "cold pressed" are obsolete because that's the standard today.

So, the first oil may have undergone the same processing as the second, but not bothered to state something it considered irrelevant, or it may have undergone slightly more processing.

Regardless, they are both still in the same category and one is not obviously better for eating/cooking than the other. For the small difference in the two labels, it really comes down to your subjective preference.

OliveOilSource.com has advice on when to use extra virgin olive oil and when to select a cheaper more refined olive oil:
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/basics

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.