Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Let's Swap Soup Recipes!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
In the coming weeks we would love your favorite recipes for soups to share.
Be it a creamy corn, or lobster bisque. How about a low cal vegetable or chicken broth soup! Whatever you have to share would be great. Its cold, its winter and soup is comforting and soothing on a long winter's day.

Always a great start to a meal or a great lunch with half sandwich or some crackers! Mmmmm Soup! Who has something to share?

Here is a Pumpkin Soup recipe from Elaine to help us get started!
Pumpkin Potato Soup 1 cup of hearty stews/starches soup
The mashed potato adds creaminess to this lower-fat soup.
3 cups mashed potatoes, made with low-fat milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
1 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste (optional)
5 tablespoons fat-free or light sour cream
  • Prepare mashed potatoes using milk only (no added butter). Add the pumpkin and fat-free half-and-half (or low-fat milk) to a medium saucepan; whisk to blend well.
  • Add cheese, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Cover pan and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pepper and salt, if desired.
  • Spoon into 5 serving bowls, then swirl a tablespoon of fat-free or light sour cream in each bowl of soup.
Yield: 5 servings
Per serving: 276 calories, 19 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 3.2 g fiber, 300 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
Chrissy~

3point14 responded:
Beef Barley Soup
2 lbs. ground beef **
2 cups red/green peppers (I use 2 packages of frozen pepper strips)**
1/2 cup chopped onion **
1/2 tablespoon of parsley **
1 can diced tomato (don't strain) **
1 cup barley **
1 cup water**

This is so easy! :) Brown the beef, and while doing that add in the peppers and onions and cook until tender.

After beef is cooked all the way through and veggies are tender add the tomato and water and parsley and barley. Simmer on low-medium for about twenty minutes.

It's really simple, but it's also very, very tasty. Perfect for coming in after a long day of cold.

davedsel57 responded:
Buffalo Style Cream Of Chicken Soup With Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients For Roasted Vegetables:

Fresh Garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped or sliced — as many cloves as you like
1 large Onion, coarsely chopped
1 Green Pepper, coarsely chopped
1 Turnip, chopped into small (less than 1") pieces
1 Cup Baby Carrots, coarsely chopped
1 Head Cauliflower and/or Broccoli, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Ingredients For Buffalo Style Cream Of Chicken Soup:

1 stick Butter or Margarine, cut into small cubes
½ cup Flour
2 cups Chicken Stock
6 cups milk
½ cup Blue Cheese Dressing
8-10 ounces cheese — American, Cheddar, etc.
1 bag Buffalo Style Chicken Strips, thawed if frozen, cut into small pieces

Preparation:

Roasted Vegetables: Place all ingredients for roasted vegetables into a large roasting pan or onto a large baking sheet. Mix together well. Bake in 400 degree oven for 1 hour or until all vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Check and stir periodically.

Soup: In a large soup pot, melt butter and stir in flour until well blended and a roux forms. Cook for one or two minutes stirring constantly. Carefully and gradually stir in the chicken stock, milk and blue cheese dressing. Simmer for about 10 minutes until heated through and thickened. Carefully and gradually stir in cheese and simmer for another 10 minutes until heated through and all cheese is melted. Add the Buffalo style chicken strips and stir until combined. Add in all the roasted vegetables and stir until thoroughly combined. Simmer soup for at least 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Blessings, -Dave

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
So happy to see you here Dave, and to SEE your great face too! Love the new avatar!
Yummm Great recipe, and today in the North East we have yet another 18 inches of snow, I may just make this very soon!
Sounds delish!
Chrissy~

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to 3point14's response:
My Mom used to make something like this! I might have all these ingredient in the house right now!
Perfect 3point14!
Thank you!
Chrissy~

fibroinsd responded:
Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup

2 cups water
1-16 oz pkg broccoli

boil...then simmer 5 min.

1/2 c. butter-melted
1/2 c. flour

melt butter...add flour...

6 cups milk
4 chicken flavored bullion cubes
1 tsp. white pepper

gradually add milk, etc. to butter flour...until thickened..then add broccoli and water

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to fibroinsd's response:
OK ladies and gents you are making hungry!
This sounds great and right up my daughters ally! Mine too I might add. Is the package of broccoli frozen?
Chrissy~

fibroinsd replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
oops...yes...frozen broccoli.... ;)

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Chris

I make soup home made but don;t use a recipe
I just make it with water Chicken backs necks gizards onions carrots celery and whatever vegie scaps I have garlic too and bay leaves. I procsses this myself by after cooking the above I strain it then cook it again only with chicken thighsand more vegies just cooked in the stock makeing it a broth then strain again cool overnight in fridg and then skim off the fat the broth will be like jello then I cook the defatted broth with diagonal cut carrots celery after those vegie are tender I chop up in nice chunks the lean part of the chicken thighs and add that plus bay leaves to the soup . this allways comes out good this is made with a proccess but I did the proccessing myself
Hugs Judy:)

An_198304 responded:
Vegetable soup

In a large 4 quart saucepan, put the following in any order, and any amounts desired for your taste.

I onion, chopped
chopped green pepper
chopped or sliced carrots
sliced mushrooms
1/2 pkg shredded cabbage or chop/shred your own
1 can drained green beans, or frozen if desired
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, squished up

pour in 2 15oz cans of chicken broth
2 cans of water, or enough to cover vegetables
garlic powder to taste
ground basil to taste
salt if desired

after it comes to a good simmer, I add sliced zuchinni and yellow squash. It doesn't take as long to cook. Simmer till vegetables cooked to your taste.

This is a WW recipe that I have added to. You can add brocoli and or cauliflower if desired also. You can also add a small can of Mexican tomatoe sauce, if preferred spicey.
I put in individual freezer type bowls, abt 1 cup size, and freeze, if you want. This is a no points WW soup on program.
It could be made in smaller proportions also.

cduffy responded:
Quick Minestrone

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
6 c. vegetable broth
2 1/2 c. cubed butternut squash (3/4 in.)
2 1/2 c. cubed potatoes (3/4 in.)
1 c. cut green beans
1/2 c. diced carrot
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
4 c. chopped kale
1/2 c. uncooked orzo pasta
1 (16 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese

Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 2.5 mins. Add broth and next 7 ingredients (through salt); bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 mins. Add kale, orzo and cannellini beans; cook 5 mins or until veggies are tender. Sprinkle servings with cheese.

Even my 2 year old loves this soup...it's so good and good for you!

3point14 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
That's what I love most about it. I'm a fulltime student and I work fulltime, so it's a really filling dinner that I usually do have just sittin' around the house anyway.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to 3point14's response:
2point14 - YUM! Just made your Beef Barley Soup. You were right - simple and tasty.I'm NOT a cook at all - so this was great for me.

Even though it will be approaching 80 tomorrow here in SoCal, I always love warm soup!

Haylen

p.s. My husband thought this could be thickened with tomato paste and used as filling for cabbage rolls - I like that idea too. (as long as others are cooking, I'm happy)

Helpful Tips

Divinely Delicious Lasagna - Low Fat, too!
I made this up, so you can do whatever you'd like with this. WARNING: You may end up making 2 dishes like I did. But, that's fine, ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.