Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Samonella food poisoning.
Hellraiser2469 posted:
Hey, can anyone please tell me how you can die from food poisoning? i would be very grateful :)

EricE_MA responded:
What causes death in food poisoning generally depends first on the type of food poisoning. For example, one of the more deadly food borne pathogens is E. Coli:0157-H7 which causes hemorraghic colitis -- it perforates your colon making your digestive tract bleed. It also causes hemolytic uremic syndrome -- blood cells die and lead to kidney failure. Another pathogenic disease, Botulism, causes nerves to fail to stimulate muscles. One of the causes of death with botulism is that you lose the ability to breathe.

Since you explicitly had salmonella in your title, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever are the most severe symptoms. Anything which causes diarrhea or vomiting can lead to severe dehydration and/or electrolyte imbalances which may in turn lead to death. If it is the typhoid species of Salmonella, high fever is the most likely symptom to lead to death.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Often it is the elderly or very young or people that are already weak from chronic illness that are most vulnerable to the most serious bouts with food poisoning.

Helpful Tips

Divinely Delicious Lasagna - Low Fat, too!
I made this up, so you can do whatever you'd like with this. WARNING: You may end up making 2 dishes like I did. But, that's fine, ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.