Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Diverticulitis Diet
An_198310 posted:
so Im recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and cant seem to find the answer Im looking for about my diet. My question is this i have a few meals planned & I need to know if they are going to be ok for me. The meals include a cooked ham with mashed potatoes, a beer battered fish filet( van de Kamps) with fries(unseasoned) and a beef round with bullseye sauce and baked potato....these are of course separate mealsnot all at once but if i need to rearrange my meal plan id greatly appreciate knowing whats ok and whats not

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Anon, I tried twice to answer your question the other day. I posted lots of information and then it wouldn't submit. Let me try to do this once again.

Generally with diverticulitis there is inflammation in the intestinal wall and you are generally told to "rest" the intestines by eating easy to digest food (soft diet with low fiber--low fat diets can be helpful) like white rice, broth, white bread products, stewed meat, etc...The hard to digest foods should be avoided like whole grains, raw veggies, fried food, nuts, seeds, popcorn, and fibrous vegetables.

As the intestines heals and your condition turns to diverticulosis (pockets in the intestinal wall) then you WANT to eat a high fiber diet so that the pockets are kept clean and less likely to get irritated and infected. Generally choosing smart carbs and smart fats whenever possible (whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies, and smart fats would be fish, avocado, nuts and seeds if tolerated, extra virgin olive oil and canola oil).

EricE_MA responded:
To Anon, take note that it is a popular misconception, even among doctors, that nuts and things with small seeds should be avoided by everyone with diverticula. See: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis-diet/AN01255

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.