Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Egg Plant
Jis4Judy posted:
can anyone desribe what egg plant tastes like does it have a texture
can it be compared to anything else..?
Hugs Judy:)

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Love eggplant and it's particularly high in soluble or viscous fiber! The flavor is mild which is why strong flavors are usually added to dishes with eggplant (like garlic and herbs and olive oil and tomato paste).

The texture is pretty unique. It's a bit like zucchini in that the skin is firmer and the interior is soft and almost waxy (but not in a bad way).

It's a bit of a sponge when exposed to oil so know how much oil you want to add when you are cooking it in a pan (and use a nonstick frying pan or skillet so it won't stick to the pan).

I hope that helps!

Jis4Judy replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
thanks Elaine I never ate it before so unsure what to expect I am a fussy eater

Tomato05 replied to Jis4Judy's response:
I hope I'm not putting you off, but I don't like it at all.

I don't really like fried stuff (and like Elaine said, it soaks up oil), so I've tried microwaving it - it had a bland, sponge-like texture, quite unpleasant.

If you fry it, it becomes "slimy".

If you grill or bake it (I've tried that too), it still resembles a tasteless sponge...

Jis4Judy replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi Tomato LOl thats what I imagined it would taste like
My Hubby has had it before so I am gonna make it and he can have it all if i don;t like it LOL He is accually looking forward to it .. Maybe I will slice it very thin and just bake it in the sauce and cheese layers for a longer time.. to avoid the fry thing

Let us know what you thought of it; maybe you get hooked!

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
I like it as eggplant parmesan. I actually saw a recipe for this on Spark People site that was calorie reduced.

The eggplant was dipped in egg substitute then in Panko and sprayed w/EVO and baked. This method took away the oil problem.

You could use calorie reduced cheese and marinara.

I have not made this but due see it as a possibility.

Also, zucchini could be prepared like this. I think I saw a recipe that used zucchini instead of pasta in a lasagna recipe.

I think there isn't a recipe that can't be fat or calorie reduced.

I just can't eat those high calorie foods anymore!

Barb

P.S. I think that there are Mediterranian stews that use eggplant.

Hi tomato I barely browned it with almost zero oil just some garlic powder on it sprayed it with olive oil just a little
then layered it with my home made sauce parm cheese and topped with mossarella // I sliced it maybe 1/4 inch before I started it // I baked it approx 30 minutes it tasted great didn't even notice there was egg plant in there ...
very high cals according to fitday I had 3/4 C of it a little over 300 cals per cup
served with asparagus and side salad
my experament was a success I think/

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Here's a recipe from an article I wrote for WebMD a few year's back on winter casseroles.Enjoy!
Eggplant Parmesan Casserole1 1/2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
1 cup unbleached white flour
2 large eggs (use a higher omega-3 brand, if available)
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/3 cup finely grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
2 medium eggplants, tops and bottoms trimmed off, then sliced widthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
Olive oil cooking spray (or canola cooking spray)
26-ounce can or bottle marinara or garlic & herb spaghetti sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella, packed
  • Preheat oven broiler. Line two baking sheets with foil and generously coat the foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
  • Add breadcrumbs to medium bowl. Add flour to another medium bowl. Add eggs, egg substitute and 1/2 cup of the Romano cheese to a third medium bowl and whisk together to blend well. Arrange the bowls on your kitchen counter in this order: flour, egg mixture, breadcrumbs, then prepared baking sheets.
  • Dip each eggplant slice into the flour, then dip into the egg mixture to coat both sides. Then dip it into the breadcrumb mixture to lightly coat both sides. Place on prepared baking sheets, and repeat the process with the remaining eggplant slices. When all the eggplant has been dipped, generously coat their top sides with cooking spray.
  • Broil eggplant slices about 6-inches from the heat, watching carefully, until the tops are golden brown (about 3 minutes). Flip slices over, coat with cooking spray, and broil until second side is golden brown (about 2 minutes more). After all the eggplant slices are golden brown, take them out of the oven and turn it down to 375 degrees while you assemble the casserole.
  • In a 9 x 9-inch or 2-quart baking dish, spread 1/2 cup marinara over the bottom. Layer one-fourth of the browned eggplant slices to cover the sauce. Top with 2/3 cup of marinara, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Repeat these layers three more times. (If you only have enough eggplant for two more layers, that's perfectly fine).
  • Spray one side of a sheet of foil with cooking spray, and cover the casserole with the spray-coated side touching the food (this keeps the cheese from sticking to the foil). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool a few minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 345 calories, 19 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 93 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 1022 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.

Glad you liked it, as it is a healthy veg after all.

I won't invest all that cooking effort in it though! I'd rather steam a zucchini and top it with a poached egg or some salmon and add a side salad!

well Tomato it wasn't as tricky as Elaines way I skipped over the breading and broiling part and just barely warmed it in a skillet before I drenched it with sauce and cheeses and baked it /

Rosie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Judy. One of my favorite ways to enjoy eggplant is grilled slices that have been marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add some herbs if you like. Just watch out for the amount of oil you use. As Elaine pointed out, eggplant can suck up the oil! If you really want some cheese, you can put it on the hot slices after you remove them from the grill.

And at the end of summer when all of the best veggies are ripe, I have a casserole I make in the microwave (doesn't heat up the kitchen).Peel and cube eggplant.Cut up zucchini, yellow summer squash, sweet onion, tomato and your favorite mushrooms. Proportions depend on what you like best, but be sure to use plenty of tomatoes so you have their juice for the entire dish. I'm allergic to peppers, but I bet you could also throw in some green and yellow sweet peppers. Just try to cut all of the veggies to about the same size. Toss all of the veggies with some olive oil and crushed garlic. Place in a glass casserole and cover. Heat in the microwave until the veggies are cooked (I usually go by the eggplant), Remove cover stir well, and add lemon juice (it's the garlic and the lemon that go so well together), salt and pepper. Serve over rice and top with a wee bit of your favorite cheese. If you are judicious in your use of cheese and use brown rice, I think this is a very healthy dish.

If your family doesn't like brown rice, make some white and some brown, and combine them until the family is used to the brown rice.

Enjoy!

susanb54 replied to Rosie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Rosie, the microwave recipe sounds fantastic. I do a similar thing but I saute in a pan (or a wok because it's larger). Sometimes I add some tomato paste and water to make it more saucy and then serve it over whole wheat pasta as a veggie sauce.

We also use the George Foreman grill to cook eggplant without frying Just spray it with olive oil cooking spray (Pam), sprinkle on some garlic powder, a little salt, some pepper and oregano. When eggplant is cooked, we layer it like a lasagne with tomato sauce and some shredded mozzerella. Not a lot of cheese in the layers but a nice layer on top. Fits nicely into loaf pans and can be frozen so you can enjoy during the winter months. An end of summer staple meal that my husband likes to cook up and make for our winter feasts.

Eggplant is good, but as others have noted above,needs some spicing to make it taste good. Although if you slice it, dip it in egg, dip in breadcrumbs and fry it to a nice even brown (not the healthiest way to cook it, for sure) ... you can eat it almost right out of the pan (just need to let it cool off). Maybe you can tell, eggplant is one of our favorites!

Bon appetit!

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.