Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
I didnt eat corned beef...
Cindigal posted:
Oh well......St. Pat's Day is come and gone. I didnt eat corned beef this year...so what. No big deal, it's not that every single year I eat it either....lol. Since I live alone, I wouldn't bother with the prep and the mess. I do although love cabbage, red potatoes and saurkraut. I could make a meal with those things. Now I am craving those things.... darnit. I would put horseradish on top too. Speaking of hot things, I dont know what's going on, I love horseradish... but a tad, and the last time I had it....and also even my usual mild condiments (to me) hot things I could not tolerate. My tongue is so sensitive these days and I had to drink some milk. I can't even put any of my ....I am talking (very mild to me) condiments I used to like. Does your taste buds get that way when you tolerate hot things.

Anyway, I had some fresh brocolli and some zuccini (what a mouthful)spelling please. I chopped 2 cloves of garlic, parboiled the brocolli, then shocked it in cold water and threw it in the pan with the garlic. Sliced the zuccini thin and threw it with the brocolli and garlic. I had a piece of leftover fish that I had the night before and heated it up. All in all, I would say it was better than corned beef.

cindigal

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
You could make corned beef and cabbage and potatoes in a slow cooker! It's super easy that way. You can find the smallest corned beef packaged at the store. Then place it in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle the seasonings (that come in a packet with corned beef) over the meat. Top with small potatoes or quartered medium size ones. Pour a bottle or half of a bottle of beer over the top and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours. Top that with shredded cabbage and use a ladle to pour some of the liquid from the bottom of the slow cooker over the top of the cabbage. Continue to cook about an hour to cook the cabbage.

You could have leftovers and/or invite a friend over!

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.