Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
healthy snacking
sherm80 posted:
I eat a good, fiber laden, fruit, etc breakfast, but do not really want a lunch, and then eat an adequate dinner. So, between breakfast and dinner, what healthful eating could be had that would be beneficial to keeping energy up, and not contribute to weight gain, and just healthy??

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
It sounds you aren't hungry for a lunch? I wonder why that is since generally we are hungry every 4 to 5 hours?

It's a good idea to eat a lunch to keep your energy levels high and to keep you from getting over hungry for dinner. In terms of healthful options, look for opportunities to add smart carbohydrates (high nutrient plant foods with fiber and phytochemicals) such as beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, smart fats (fish, avocado, nuts, extra virgin olive oil, etc.) and lean meats and lowfat dairy (if desired).

This could be a cold pasta salad made with whole grain pasta, a balsamic vinaigrette, lots of veggies and fresh mozzarella. It could be a sandwich made with whole wheat pita or bread and filled with roasted turkey, cranberry relish and spread with some light cream cheese. It could be a grilled cheese made with whole wheat bread and served with fresh fruit and yogurt or a green salad.

Hope this gives you some food for thought!

sherm80 replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
thanx for the info--if I wasn't getting enough nutrients, by skipping a lunch( and yes, I'm not THAT hungry for a sandwich type lunch, so healthful snacking is more my style!), and just doing light "snacking", what physical effects would I be noticing, that my body wasn't getting enough of something??

Helpful Tips

Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Ingredients 2 pounds Beef Stew meat 2 Sweet Potatoes 4 Carrots (peeled and chopped) 2 Celery Stalks (chopped) 1 Spanish Onion (chopped) 2 ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.