Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
amounts
sherm80 posted:
I like to sprinkle extras on some of my foods, like wheat germ, flax seed. Is just one serving/day enough for good benefits with these additives, or should you use more??

I also take Metamucil in a.m., should that be taken more than 1x/day for max benefits, (if you're not having specific problems, that is)?

Lastly, do you know if you are taking a calcium (carbonate) supplement, while eating, say, some yogurt, does that yogurt negate the benefits of the supplement???

EricE_MA responded:
The "benefits" of the extras that you mention mostly comes from filling a dietary need not otherwise filled. For example, the main feature of flax seed is that it provides omega-3 oils. So, the amount of flax seed you might take would depend on how well the rest of your diet supplies omega-3 oils.

Metamucil: Like the other items, the amount to be taken would be according to your individual need. If you are not having a problem that calls for it, I do not believe there's a reason to take one, let alone more servings.

It is rare that "if some is good, then more is better."

Taking calcium supplements at the same time as calcium rich foods does not "negate" them, but it will reduce the effectiveness. There is diminishing returns with calcium. You'll get more calcium overall by separating them by a couple of hours.

Tomato05 responded:
Your body absorbs only 500mg of calcium at a time - so if you eat yogurt plus take a supplement simultaneously, the excess calcium over 500mg won't be absorbed. Not that you shouldn't eat dairy - it is important to take in calcium-rich foods! Calcium from food sources is better absorbed and you get other nutritional benefits from those foods too.

If you need 1000mg of calcium, it is best to take two 500mg tablets at two different times of the day. Alternatively, take one calcium tablet at a time of the day when you consume least calcium, and ensure you get in 500 mg in food the rest of the day.

150g (5oz) of non-fat yogurt has 200-250mg of calcium. 1/2cup of milk about 150mg, 1/2 cup cottage cheese about 80mg, a medium orange has 50mg, a cup of broccoli 36mg and a cup of spinach 47mg, 2 1/2 oz (75g) of canned salmon has 185mg, etc. Almonds are also a good source.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Calcium absorption is beset when your calcium supplement is taken with some food. Consider taking your supplement with a light mid-morning or afternoon snack.

Your body can't absorb more than 500-600 mg of calcium at a time, so a single daily dose of 1200 mg would not be helpful. Divide the dose over the course of the day if your doctor has recommended that you take more than 600 mg a day.

Your calcium supplement should not be your only important source of calcium. Try to work some high-calcium foods into your daily diet too.

Drink plenty of liquids with your calcium supplement to avoid constipation (water works best).

I like the calcium vitamin D chews. I take one in the morning at work after I have my light breakfast.

Hope that helps!

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.