Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
butter? or sub
nursingbug posted:
I liked the article on cooking oils- I have a question about butter, or what to use as a subsititute.
Currently I use a butter/olive oil blend, that is lower in fat and calories than normal butter, but doesn't have the trans fats.
In baking I use regular butter, since I don't know how subsititutes would behave in the recipe.
Any other ideas? I want to eat as close to nature as possible. thanks

EricE_MA responded:
> I use a butter/olive oil blend, that is lower in fat and calories than normal butter

Are you sure?
1 TBSP butter is 11.5 g fat and 100 Calories.
1 TBSP olive oil is 13.5 g fat and 120 Calories.
So, a mix of 50/50 would be 12.5 g fat and 110 Calories.

Not that that difference really matters much.

Or do you mean you use a commercial "light" blend of the two that emulsifies some water to lighten the spread?

For what it is worth, I've tried straight oil in a number of baked recipes and been satisfied with the results. It may vary somewhat by recipe and your individual taste. But I think you should try some recipes with straight oil to see how you like it. It does make some texture differences.

"Light spreads" are a different story because they can have significantly less fat and significantly more water which can significantly alter recipes. (The water may develop the gluten and make a chewier product, for example.)

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Elaine Magee, just wrote a great blog on What are the best cooking Fat's. <-----Click here

I hope that helps!
Chrissy~

nursingbug replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Nope, but thanks, I am asking more about butter or spread for the table, lower in calories than butter, but with no trans fats
I guess I use that commercial light blend- Land o lakes light spread- It tastes good and I didn't see anything too objectionable in the ingredients...

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to nursingbug's response:
For a table spread the Land O Lakes Buttery spread is definitely one of the more passable margarines in my opinion. I also have whipped butter around for certain recipes when i really do need butter's unique flavor qualities (like when a recipe requires "browning" the butter--margarines don't "brown")

For baking though, depending on the recipe, I can often use some canola oil instead of melted margarine or butter. If the recipe calls for margarine or butter or shortening (not melted) then you can sometimes use a blend of oil with something thickened like light sour cream, plain yogurt or ricotta cheese or light cream cheese. This way it will still "whip" and incorporate air which is usually what is required in the recipe. I also use the buttery spread for recipes where that will function the best.

Gosh I hope I didn't confuse you even more! (LOL)

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.