Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
"amount" question
sherm80 posted:
I'm always alittle confused when a serving says "heaping tsp" of whatever (in my case, I do the Metamucil thing at breakfast); is that teaspoon the regular eating utensil spoon, or the measuring teaspoon??

EricE_MA responded:
"teaspoon" means "measured teaspoon." Though chance are good your "regular eating utensil" which you might refer to as "teaspoon" is the same. And since they use the term "heaping" it means the amount is not precise, so you can afford to be off a little. Next time you get your measure teaspoon out, put some water in it and pour it into your eating utensil. Then, you'll know for sure. Most spoons are either 1 or 1.5 teaspoons.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
I think this usually refers to a teaspoon measuring spoon that is rounded at the top and not leveled off.

I hope that helps,

Elaine

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.