Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Bad reaction to Tuna?
Rohvannyn posted:
My spouse and I are on a very tight budget and one of our main sources of animal protien is tuna. We like Seville brand best, which is nice big tuna steaks, very little in the way of additives, and is a good price. The place we got it ran out and so we had to get Chicken of the Sea instead. Not only is it a worse flavor, but it is also sort of pureed so we can't even drain it properly, it is more expensive, and it also doesn't list the ingredents in the vegetable broth.

The reason why I'm being this detailed aobut our tuna eating habits is my spouse and I both started getting really bad symptoms, almost as if we were being drugged, strange as it may seem. Shortly after eating this tuna (no more than five ounces at a time) we both had mental confusion, depression, paranoia and fatique. I also had muscle spasms and one time when I took a benadryl for allergy symptoms I was far more drowsy than normal.

Note that I didn't have any symptoms till I had this type of tuna, am on no other maintenance medications, and this is the only change that took place.

Needless to say, we stopped eating that tuna and are feeling better. More beans! Yay! Now for my questions:

A: what could be in that broth!?

B: Has anyone else had odd symptoms like this after eating Chicken of the Sea tina in water?

EricE_MA responded:
To determine the content of the broth, you have to contact the manufacturer.

Keeping in mind Chicken of the Sea is an extremely popular brand, food poisoning is a very uncommon occurance, but it is possible and the symptoms you experienced could be food poisoning. But it also wasn't necessarily from the tuna. It may have been coincidental with another food. Finding the source of a specific food poisoning incident is VERY difficult.

Rohvannyn replied to EricE_MA's response:
Thanks for your reply. I literally ate the exact same things as normal the whole time, except for a spinach salad on one of the days of the occurances, and the brand was the only other change. We have a pretty monotonous diet except for around payday. It didn't seem like food poisoning, but it could have been. Either it was a "bad lot" of tuna, or it was a reaction to some type of preservative or additive.

I am going to contact the manufacturer when I can, that's a good idea.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to Rohvannyn's response:
Did you have any intestinal symptoms? Most food poisoining from food (and spinach with bacteria contamination) are going to have more gastro-intestinal symptoms.

That must have been very scary and the fact that you were both going through it at the same time is worth noting to your doctor.

I looked up the symptoms of mercury poisoning, just in case that matched what you both were experiencing due to some rare accumulation of mercury in the tuna you were eating. Here's what was listed as

Symptoms of methylmercury poisoning
In addition to the subtle impairments, symptoms of methylmercury poisoning may include;
  • impairment of the peripheral vision ;
  • disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings, usually in the hands, feet, and around the mouth );
  • lack of coordination of movements;
  • impairment of speech, hearing, walking ; and
  • muscle weakness .

Rohvannyn replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
Good to know. Nope, no intestinal symptoms, and now that I switched to another brand of tuna it's totally cleared up. I can even think more clearly, oddly enough.

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.