Skip to content

Announcements

Do you make homemade pancakes or do you use pancake mix?
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD posted:
I have been doing "makeovers" on a handful of pancake recipes, trying to find a higher fiber, smart fat type of recipe that stands out as SOOO good that I will want to pass it along to you all.

I think I may have found "the one" and I'll be posting it on my blog in a week or so but in the meantime, would love to know if some of you make your own pancake batter or if you use a mix????

I've found that making your batter from scratch does take a little more time, but it might just require 5 minutes more or so. You do need to have all of the ingredients on hand as well, like buttermilk, baking powder, and eggs.

EricE_MA responded:
I make my own. I don't care for the mixes. And I find 100% whole wheat to work fine and have a richer flavor. I've never found a 100% whole wheat mix, but I don't seem much point in looking as making your own mix is sooo easy.

I usually mix a few batches together of the dry mix then prepare 1 egg's worth at a time.

Years ago, I experimented with all kinds of different flours. Most were interesting some working better than others. The worst was rice flour. Amaranth flour worked quite well though a little fragile.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD replied to EricE_MA's response:
Hey Eric,

I experimented this morning making mostly whole wheat pancakes and everyone really liked them so I'm going to post the recipe this week!

I agree about rice flour : )

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
Hi Elaine and Eric,

My husband is the pancake maker in our home. Before finding a store brand buttermilk mix that we liked, he made them from scratch.

We went through various mixes and found the best tasting, best consistency has the LEAST ingredients listed on the package!

As a kid, my dad made frixuelos instead of traditional pancakes. Just the thought makes my mouth water!

Elizabeth

AllyK1969 responded:
Being originally Russian, I know lots of different recepies. So I never buy any mixes. I love using 100% whole wheat flour, or buckwheat (I grind it into flour) which is one of our traditional recipes. I also like adding some fruits or berries into pancakes.

Rosie_WebMD_Staff responded:
If you would like Elaine's recipe, it's on her blog: Homemade Honey Wheat Pancakes.

marlenibug responded:
We prefer pancakes made from scratch. Even the most healthful whole grain purchased mixes seem to have an overabundance of sodium, and you are getting someone else's idea of good flavor and texture. I have two or three whole grain recipes. I make multiples of the dry ingredients, including dry buttermilk, and freeze them in batches in quart freezer bags. I write on the bags, or on post-its attached to the bags, all necessary information about what to add to the mix when you use it. Love pancakes!

JudyFre responded:
I do not find that making homemade takes much longer at all. The ww flour counts for the box, then salt, baking powder, egg, plus liquid and oil that you have to add with the mix anyway. My favorite is from Laurel's Kitchen, Oatmeal Pancakes, everyone I serve them to including young children, love them. These take a little bit more time because you soak the oats for 5 minutes in milk. Make coffee or cut up fruit while you wait.

I hope to see many more all whole grain, low sugar recipes on this site, especially for diabetics.

Thanks!

MelendyS responded:
Hi,
I usually use the mixes but I would love to try one with the whole wheat flour. My daughter and I are trying to eat healthier and we love pancakes. That would be one more way to incorporate whole wheat in our diet.

Thanks

AmTbTa responded:
my grandmother puts a cup of milk, a cup of flour, and one egg and im telling you its the best pancakes i ever had, i grew up on eating them they are the best. now that im older i drive to her house which is like an hour away almost maybe a little more just to have pancakes for sunday mornings and bacon with lots of surpy but she always makes me get there by 8 so we can cook eat and clean before she runs off to church ha ha but sometimes i think if anything ever happens to her would those pancakes ever be that good again sometimes when yah grandmother cooking it seems more like the love and sweat and hardwork just adds the deliciousiness
HAPPY MOTHERS DAYS EVERYONE!!!!

jhilton1 replied to JudyFre's response:
I would love the recipe for the oatmeal pancakes... pretty please!!!!!

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.