Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The EXPLODING Watermelons!
jean4u posted:
Did anyone see, in the news, "The exploding watermelons"?

Guess the farmers used too much fertilizer and these little babies were exploding in the fields.

Now, I had an experience with a watermelon that I had never had before. When I went to pick up the watermelon that I had purchased, the outside looked OK, but it "deflated" like a balloon. It was liquified on the interior.

Had my receipt. Took it back in a garbage bag to the store. They said they had never seen anything like that. I had never seen anything like that either. Just glad it didn't explode!

Barb

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Barb,

Here is a link about accelerated melons -

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/17/501364/main20063538.shtml

A couple of weeks ago the watermelons around here were beautiful and delicious. I think most of the local farms are finished and the one I got this weekend was good but not great.

Glad you returned yours, I always have good intentions returning foods (mostly cucumbers) that are not up to par, but they never seem to make it back to the store.

Elizabeth

EricE_MA replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
"... I think most of the local farms are finished and the one I got this weekend was good but not great."

Geez. You're not near me! Here in New England, we're lucky if watermelon seedlings have gotten their first full leaves.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to EricE_MA's response:
I am in Florida, I guess the heat and lack of rain made for a quick season.

Guess I need to travel north to continue a watermelon summer!

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 82 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.