Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
The Pyramid Has Crumbled! See "My Plate" for New USDA Guidelines
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Earlier today, the USDA unveiled the new "My Plate" icon that replaces the out-dated food pyramid.

This will be the beginning of an increased effort to bring more attention to the recently updated USDA/HHS Dietary guidelines. The colorful plate is a much simpler visual guide to how much of each food group we should eat on a daily basis. For your convenience, WebMD has designed a printable version of the plate for our members. We hope you'll print it out and hang it on your fridge and also share it with your friends and family.

Be sure to read the full story here -- USDA Ditches Food Pyramid for Healthy Plate .

Have you made any changes to your diet lately to eat more healthy? If so, take our POLL below to let us know what steps you have taken.

Elizabeth

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Time will tell if this is helpful to American families. I'm not sure why orange was picked to represent the grain category. I might have gone with brown since getting past "the brown" is part of switching to whole grains and whole grain breads as much as possible.

EricE_MA responded:
Yeah. I'm not impressed. As a nutrition educator, while the 2005 pyramid had problems, it was at least useful for stimulating some important conversations. The plate is simplified to the point of not being a particularly useful teaching tool; it doesn't have anything to stimulate many important nutrition topics.

Tomato05 replied to EricE_MA's response:
I agree with you Eric. It's really "dumbing down"! Maybe a good tool to use in primary school.

It doesn't address the intake of healthy fats, for example. I think the grain portion is too big too (but that's probably a personal preference), and that the protein and grain size should be swopped. The fruit and veg already supply a lot of carbs, so no need to boost it to that extent as well with grains.

And it doesn't take into account snacks (which is really the tricky part) - it doesn't work for what you eat in between all those healthy meals.

It's veg portions could also mislead in that people may think 1/2 cup of veg is all the veg they need three times a day.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
WebMD commented on the plate with suggestions and options for meals with this printable pdf.

I would like to see the plate include number of servings and amount/portion sizes built in.

I missed the dairy portion the first couple times I looked at it!

Interested in what others think,
Elizabeth

slanoue responded:
It's a good idea; about time they did this...for me, personally, though, I can't eat too many fruits or grains because of allergies and diabetes.

The only fruits I can really eat without making my blood sugar go up too high are apples, berries, peaches, and watermelon. I had to give up oranges, pineapple, and bananas. Sometimes I will eat half a banana if my blood sugar is really low.

Same thing with rice, most beans and most grains.

I am not a big fan of vegetables but trying to eat more in my diet and eat less dairy and fatty protein. Especially since I'm trying to lose 30 more lbs.

Suzanne

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.