Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Green Tea/Herbal Tea
    An_198325 posted:
    Does green tea really help to lose wight? Is there any right way to drink it for its effect to be maximum? Like is it necessary to drink it while its hot or it should be taken without sugar and other stuff like that because I hate green tea but my friend told me that its a very good way to boost your metabolism and lose weight, so even if i do take it I want it to get cold so that i can swallow the whole cup in one gulp.....i hate it.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
    Great question and yes, green tea is suggested as having plant compounds that are suspected of having some weight loss benefits. Tea, particularly green/white, are one of the 10 synergy superfoods in my book, FOOD SYNERGY.

Best way to drink it is unsweetened and green or white has more of the plant compounds than black tea (in general) and it appears that adding milk to tea may block the ability of your body to absorb some of these helpful plant compounds.

Also I suggest drinking some in the morning and then toward the end of the day since their compounds have a 4 hour half life so if you spread it out through the day, you are helping your body have an almost constant flow of these helpful plant compounds over a 24 hour period.

kidsurgeon replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
    So is it necessary to drink it while its hot?

Helpful Tips

growing herbs
    have lemonbalm and rosemary planted amongst my corriander, lemongrass, parsley, chives, sage, oregano, and they seems to discourage most ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 16 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.