Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Green Tea/Herbal Tea
An_198325 posted:
Does green tea really help to lose wight? Is there any right way to drink it for its effect to be maximum? Like is it necessary to drink it while its hot or it should be taken without sugar and other stuff like that because I hate green tea but my friend told me that its a very good way to boost your metabolism and lose weight, so even if i do take it I want it to get cold so that i can swallow the whole cup in one gulp.....i hate it.

Elaine Magee, MPH, RD responded:
Great question and yes, green tea is suggested as having plant compounds that are suspected of having some weight loss benefits. Tea, particularly green/white, are one of the 10 synergy superfoods in my book, FOOD SYNERGY.

Best way to drink it is unsweetened and green or white has more of the plant compounds than black tea (in general) and it appears that adding milk to tea may block the ability of your body to absorb some of these helpful plant compounds.

Also I suggest drinking some in the morning and then toward the end of the day since their compounds have a 4 hour half life so if you spread it out through the day, you are helping your body have an almost constant flow of these helpful plant compounds over a 24 hour period.

kidsurgeon replied to Elaine Magee, MPH, RD's response:
So is it necessary to drink it while its hot?

Helpful Tips

Gardening
Growing your own vegetables can be a great way to not only incorporate more fresh food into your diet but also get some exercise. Gardening ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.